Upgrade path for current lights

xhackr

Newly Enlightened
What lights would you say today have historically had the greatest OEM or aftermarket upgrade paths? Alternatively, lights that might not have had the history of upgrade solutions, but in the future will.

Buying a $xxx.xx or even a $xx.xx light that will outdate itself in a year's time due to emerging LED technology is not attractive to me. Investing in higher price lights that have future upgrade solutions can be more economical.

In reality, a plain-Jane incandescent can solve most of our needs, but who here wants that? I want to be on the leading edge without spending a thousand bucks every year on flashlights!

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm......... seems to me the SureFire G2, and many other incandescent based lights, is proving to be a good bet for upgradeability. Several different companies have already released new LED drop-in modules for that light, with several more on the horizon.

The nice thing is, it's a proven base platform with a good established track record, relatively inexpensive, and easily available.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
its no use as long as one is not too certain on the lights of possible use
  • size
  • weight
  • brightness
  • runtime
  • "intelligence" (on/off <-> multilevel)
  • price
  • durability
  • batteries

example: the last 15 years I mostly used the 8X or the 9N. Last year started with a Fenix L2P. Now switch between a L1D-CE and the 6P modded with a cree and an 18650 Li-Ion. The T1 modded with Cree and 18650 is just before completion (even smaller than the 6P). A multiemitter 2 pc. 18650 mod being in mind (when parts arrive).
And several led mods in between.
My oldest lights are also the biggest. No longer in use as the small ones outshine them with ease and better fit the pockets.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes seems to be very practical having many options from high output incandescents (Lumens Factory lamp assemblies) to switching to high output LED (Wolf Eyes 170 lumen Cree drop-ins). Also has the ability to run 18650 batteries.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Wolf Eyes seems to be very practical having many options from high output incandescents (Lumens Factory lamp assemblies) to switching to high output LED (Wolf Eyes 170 lumen Cree drop-ins). Also has the ability to run 18650 batteries.
You beat me to it FlashKat, my thoughts exactly.
Norm