Cree Lights on DealExtreme

Confederate

Enlightened
There are a few Cree lights offered on DealExtreme that I'm curious about. If anyone has any info on them, please let me know:

1) Hugsby P12 3W Cree CR123A Flashlight with 2xAA Extension, $19.78

2) Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W 16-mode CREE AA/14500 Flashlight Pack, $45

3) Mini Cree Golden 1xCR123A Flashlight, $14.72

Thanks!

Confederate

Enlightened
Thanks. The Golden Cree is out. I'm going with one of the others.

By way of rechargeable batteries, is it best to use protected or unprotected? I've been told that for one cell use protected; for more than one cell, go unprotected.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to be careful about overdischarging unprotected cells in a light otherwise you can damage them to the point where they will no longer hold a charge. If you are not conscientious about your battery usage I would recommend protected cells.
Also be certain of the voltage limits of whatever light you put rechargeable Lithium Ion cells in. A RCR123 can come of a charger at 4.2 volts so for two cells you will have 8.4 volts going into a light that may not be able to handle it. For two cell lights you are better off using 3.7 V 18650's or 3.7 V 17670's rechargeables. You get safer voltage levels and longers runtimes.

Last edited:

ensile

Enlightened
i also want to get a "thrower" from deal extreme, just to see what the hype is about. I have no idea what to get, the u2 style is out of stock so i'll wait, but is that THE light to get from Dx ?

Krit

Enlightened
I have Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W. One problem for me when I turn off after low level. It will go to advance mode every time in next use. I have to switch to another high step before turn it off. It's not friendly use for me.