Best caving UV source?

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Those "made in china" have a tendancy to burn out really fast and have a rather poor build quality. Get yourself a good quality UV light like the Inova X1 or X5. In a caving enviroment you will really appreciate a good quality light.

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
Those "made in china" have a tendancy to burn out really fast and have a rather poor build quality. Get yourself a good quality UV light like the Inova X1 or X5. In a caving enviroment you will really appreciate a good quality light.

I would be making my own. I agree with you on the uber-cheap UV flashlights. The thing is, I need UV in 380nm or lower (such as 365nm). Most UV flashlights are only 395nm.

What I'm asking is if an array of these UV LED's in a mag body would be sufficiently bright enough to use in large caves/caverns.

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of a good location to purchase 380nm and 365nm LED's?
What would be a good way to drive an array of these (~40-50 LED's)?

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone refer me to any good sources or making a good UV flashlight?:sigh:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can look at the LED Museum for his (Craig's) discussion of UV LEDS...

From what little I have read over the years--the deeper into the UV range, the more likely the LED's are going to self destruct from the effects of the short wave UV light itself.

Florescent black lights, filtered mercury arc, filtered HID's, and such would seem to be a better (and in many cases, probably more efficient than LED's for larger light sources).

Why do you want LED's? Efficiency, weight, size, specific wavelength?

Craig might be able to add more recent information to this discussion...

-Bill

MrBaz

Newly Enlightened
You can look at the LED Museum for his (Craig's) discussion of UV LEDS...

From what little I have read over the years--the deeper into the UV range, the more likely the LED's are going to self destruct from the effects of the short wave UV light itself.

Florescent black lights, filtered mercury arc, filtered HID's, and such would seem to be a better (and in many cases, probably more efficient than LED's for larger light sources).

Why do you want LED's? Efficiency, weight, size, specific wavelength?

Craig might be able to add more recent information to this discussion...

-Bill

I'm just looking at making a UV flashlight that is somewhat durable (I'll be in cave after all) and portable. I was just thinking that LED's would be able to take the occasional drop without damaging any filaments. I also like the size.
I would like a UV light source that is durable, somewhat compact(MagLite-size), and has good throw.

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
All Electronics has 4" and 12" CCFL's (cold cathode florescent light).
They are probably more efficient than LEDs for UV. I would expect the durablity would depend more on the case design than the bulb itself.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the *ignorant* question, but what is a uv light used for in caving? :candle:

Look up Mineral Lights and UV... Basically, there are many minerals out there that fluoresce (glow with different colors) when exposed to various wavelengths of UltraViolet light ("Long" and "Short" UV, or UVA--long wave just beyond violet/purple of what eyes can see--not too dangerous--party poster type lights, UVB--"suntan" and eye damage very likely with exposure, and UVC--creates Ozone and kills living organisms)...

Here is a link of some pictures.

-Bill

PS and another link of samples (click on pictures to see UV colors).