Should i send my AAA in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I recieved my first white Arc AAA this week. I think it is the newest version because it came with the pocket clip. The light output is GREAT, i love it. However, the beam pattern is less to be desired. I can CLEARLY see the die pattern and some apparent rings. Basically , there is no focus to the light ouput. It makes a great flood light at a certain distance, but the rings and the die pattern bugs me a little bit.

Check them out for yourself:
Here's the Arc AAA
fcbb97c3.jpg

Here's how i see the Arc AAA:
fcbb9808.jpg

And here is what it looks like under exposed.
fcbb8d2a.jpg

Like I said, the die pattern is really projected and is clearly seen by human eyes. The underexposed picture actually shows more accurately what i see, just a little dimmer.

If this is how it's suppose to be, just let me know and i will live with it. I'm still happy with it's light output, like i said. If this is how Nichia is producing there new batch of LEDs...then there is really nothing i can do at this point. But if you think there is something wrong with this light, then i'll send it in.

THanks in advance.

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
Looks like my AAA-LE. You want to see die image and rings get yourself a green Stylus.
shocked.gif

LEDs are very inconsistant when compared to incandescent bulbs.

I think we are all spoiled by mass production technology, expecting every LED to be just like all the others. It doesn't work out that way. LEDs are just like people, all different, with different ways and personalities. The die image and rings are like DNA or fingerprints, there don't seem to be any two that are exactly alike. I have come to appreciate the differences in my several LED lights and use them more than my incandescents.

If you crave uniformity, join the Incandescent Army. If, on the other hand, you are an indiviualist, join the LED Force!

And may the Force be with you!
grin.gif

GD

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
GlockDoc,

Thank you for putting things in great perspective! You are right, we (I am) are very spoiled. If you can live with this one, then so can I.

I have found, actually, that the "imperfect" beam isn't so distracting after all. I've been using it as a bedside light for reading before i go to sleep. The "out of focus" characterstic of the beam provides a very nice flood for reading and walking around in the house. I'm starting to think it would be pretty hard to read with a glaring central spot of light.

But, again, thanks for putting things in perspective. You are right about LEDs not being as uniform as incandescent bulbs too. I guess, like another CPFer put it, we are still in the "hit and miss" stage in the LED arena.

I would also like to say, even with all my rave and ranting about my lights' imperfections, i still believe that Peter is doing one hell of a job with his products. I admire how he hasn't changed much, if any, since the first time i joined this board over a year ago. His personal and business philosophy has been steady all this time, and his devotion to his customers is inspiring.

...okay...that's it from me. Have a good day everyone.

Tomas

Banned
Laurence, I have three Arc AAAs and two of their outputs are very similar to yours. These are perfectly acceptable to me, and I'm quite happy with those lights. They are just as I expected them to be.

The third one, however, is just a touch dimmer, not at all blue or green (a bit "warm" even) and has an absolutely smooth, perfectly centered beam. It isn't an LE, but a plain 3.1 black body.

No one will get that one from me. I know how rare it must be. The little beast is just perfect. (It had the old flicker problem out-of-the-package, but after a good roll crimp it has performed flawlessly through a LOT of use.)
smile.gif

That's the one around my neck on a stainless chain right now.

tomsig02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts