Modded Penlight

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello :)

While I'm waiting for my "great modding stuff", I took time by the forelook by modding a cheap Al-Penlight.:grin2:
It's powered by 2xAAA cells and used an ugly 5mm Led with a ringy and blueish beam.

TCMPenlight.jpg

Since I have left a few "old" Luxeon's due to upgrading my lights with new ermitters (Cree/SSC), I got the idea, to swap the 5mm to a Lux I with warmer, yellowish tint.
Opening the bezel was easy because it wasn't glued.
I cutted the 5mm Led and have left the legs inside the light. Then I soldered the wires to the legs.
Now the hard part of the mod: finding a tiny heatsink......:thinking:

But I was in luck and found a piece of brass with exactly the same diameter of the light:twothumbs.

It was a piece of a solder-gas-burner.

The rest was easy, mounting the Led to the heatsink and both with thermal-paste into the light. Soldering the wires to the Led, screwing on the bezel with the optic and....voila:

FrontundOptik.jpg

The beamshot:

Penlight.jpg

Compared to a LumaPower M3 on "Low":

LPM3Low.jpg

Now the beam is nearly round without any artefacts and warm yellowish.
The current draw is 100mA, so the runtime will be acceptable with the 2xAAA cells.
The brightness isn't a "burner" but useful for close tasks.

Hopefully I'll receive my brighter future projects soon:D

Best regards

_____
Tom

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool little light and it seems you had fun with your penlight mod as well.:) The tiny optic appears to focus the Luxeon into a nice beam. A Lux 1 running at 100ma would be hard to see in a beamshot pic, if it didn`t! ;)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much Freddy and Ken:grin2:

Yes, the optic works very well. I measured 2,8V at the Led an 100mA at the tailcap, that's not much :whistle:

I'll promise, my next mod will be brighter :aaa:

Very best regards

_____
Tom:wave:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm waiting for my "great modding stuff", I took time by the forelook by modding a cheap Al-Penlight....
The current draw is 100mA, so the runtime will be acceptable with the 2xAAA cells.
The brightness isn't a "burner" but useful for close tasks.

Good job! There is a shortage of better quality, 2AAA LED penlights. I like the form factor and just picked up a "2 watt" Victorinox 2AAA LED flashlight.

Krit

Enlightened
Very good tiny light. Modder always have many parts from modding and try to make those parts more useful. :)

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not your average pocket clip penlight! Very nice mod, Long John. Great improvised heatsink!

Ya' know... I wonder what it'd look like with E2 lithiums. It might not seem worth the expense initially, but not only would it be a little brighter, the discharge curve is a lot flatter than alkies... plus the lithiums have a much longer shelf life. Even if current doubled, it wouldn't make that much heat.

Wadda ya' say? :devil:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much guys :thanks:

Bimmerboy, I guess this light has a kind of boost-circuit, so perhaps it would fry with Lithiums. I'm not sure, but probably.
Furthermore I like the dim output in this case, because it's perfect for reading, navigating at darkness.....
It works well with nimh's too, so I feel no need for the expensive Lithium cells.
I use rechargeables in all my lights:grin2:

Very best regards

____

Ganp

Enlightened
:twothumbs Excellent mod Tom. The host is a nice style too.

But how did you bring yourself to do such a TINY mod after your SUPER MEGA THROWER MONSTER THINGY? :crackup:

Colin.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Collin:)

Thank you very much my friend.
These days I'll post a very bright mod, so please be a little patient after this "weaker" mod:grin2:

Very best regards

_____

Latest posts