Beam width never really discussed

chanamasala

Enlightened
I just wanted to note that I wish the diameter of the beam was spoken about more and taken into consideration more by manufacturers. I love my Fenix L1P head with an SSC Ubin and stock Fenix reflector as it gives a wide spill that illuminates a lot in my immediate vicinity which is how I like an EDC to be. I'd say I get maybe 3-4 feet more width at around 15 feet with it than with many other pocketable torches. I can understand why some people prefer narrower beams for better concentration and throw. But especially now with a CREE and OP reflector you can get a bright center spot regardless of beam width. So my point is it just seems like a somewhat neglected design element. I notice some of the cheaper Chinese flashlights end bezels are thick and obstruct the emission of light and it's obvious they just quickly put it in production. Just thought I'd add this so as maybe people with similar concern would comment too some times and maybe manufactures will consider it more in their designs. Like in reviews it would be an informative stat to list the diameter of the beam at say one or two feet from the wall perhaps.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good point. The diameter of the beam has a big effect on how useful a light is for a particular situation. How wide the beam is at a standard distance [one meter?] would be easy to measure and would be useful information.

This is hard because unlike theatrical spot light, flashlights have varying intensity from edge to center. For photography, this is bad.

Strong center with weak side is ok for walking around.

What the heck just happened???