Overcharging Batteries

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. What have people heard about overcharging rechargeable batteries? Overcharging can lead to a drop in overall battery life. I've heard though that this doesn't exist anymore because batteries either cut off power flow or just cycle it without receiving once they're full. Is this true or should I make sure not to overcharge my batteries to prolong their overall life?

Also, if the above is not true, are there any pros to overcharging or only cons?

Thanks.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
My grandfather died about a year ago and when he died we left his tools alone down in his basement. My grandma was scarred to touch it. He had a Black and Decker drill, and after about a year of constant charging the entire batter charge station, along with the battery in it went up in smoke and went on fire and as a result it melted. It was scary, but we caught it in time. But in the end the constant overcharging of this battery made it ignite.

Illum

Flashaholic
batteries either cut off power flow or just cycle it without receiving once they're full.

only cells or cell packs with built in regulation circuitry, usually on board for L-ion or LiPo cells since they have a notorious reputation for :poof: with fire and flames several times greater than lithium primaries if overcharged over a critical level. Most rechargeable cells [correct me if I'm wrong]such as NiCd and Nimh depend on the charger to maintain float charge or simply cutoff after a specific voltage is reached.

theres no advantages of having an overcharged cell as far as I know, although in the past someone told me that a slightly overcharged cell will last longer in storage, having lack of practical experience in the field I cannot substantiate the claim. I believe, however, that overcharging cells increase deterioration in the chemical composition and that would result in an unstable state of charging cycles... if the cell is not protected: :poof::ohgeez:

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
only cells or cell packs with built in regulation circuitry, usually on board for L-ion or LiPo cells since they have a notorious reputation for :poof: with fire and flames several times greater than lithium primaries if overcharged over a critical level. Most rechargeable cells [correct me if I'm wrong]such as NiCd and Nimh depend on the charger to maintain float charge or simply cutoff after a specific voltage is reached.

So, excluding the above mentioned batteries (i.e. L-ion, LiPo, NiCd, Nimh), overcharging batteries can cause deterioration? :thinking:

What are lithium primaries used for?

Illum

Flashaholic
Gambit said:
So, excluding the above mentioned batteries (i.e. L-ion, LiPo, NiCd, Nimh), overcharging batteries can cause deterioration? :thinking:

Thats what I believe, but until I can find credible info on the topic don't count on my words being 100% accurate

lithium primaries are the scientific names of CR123A cells, over half of todays high powered flashlights use it for power, look around surefire...theres plenty of literature on it. Since they are not rechargeable they dont act the same way as rechargeables do.