Trying to justify the U2

Enlightened
Now before this gets heated, I am well aware that there are other lights that are much cheaper and much brighter.. Just wanted to get that out of the way.
So yesterday I finally got to mess with a U2 at Lighthound. It was sitting on their desk and I asked to demo it. Very nice build quality and I like the fact that it's adjustable in output. Great feature. Now I'm trying to justify the purchase of one. :shakehead Maybe you guys can steer me clear of one or make me buy one.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Steer clear of it....

I wanted one, and I can afford to buy one, but..... that was before I found a few threads on CPF from a bunch of unhappy U2 owners. It was blatantly clear that the vast majority of CPFers who posted had problems with their U2s. (Mostly with the tailcap switch).

Sorry, but Standard Operating Procedure shouldn't be having to send in your U2 for a replacement tailcap switch. I've also heard of problems with the selector ring, and the head itself.

Considering the price tag, the sheer number of U2s out there that need to be sent back for repairs shortly after purchase.... Its an inexcusable situation. Save your money for cheaper, better lights.

BTW, I own 5 Surefire's myself. The worst problem I have with them is a slightly stiff tailcap switch on my C2. The U2 really should have been recalled by Surefire.
Don't get me wrong I not a SureFire fan unlike 90% of the population here, but surely what you say is treasonable. :poke: A bad Surefire light Oh no; I'm sure you must be mistaken. :grin2:

SCblur

Enlightened
I too, have never had any tailcap issues. Of all of my lights (see my sig), my U2 is second only to my Milky ML1. I love the functionality and simple UI on the U2. If you can find one that takes an 18650, all the better.

liquidsix

Enlightened
I've never owned a surefire, but there's a reason everyone loves them so they must be great. As far as the U2 goes... I'd say wait for the next generation of surefires with new emitters to come out.

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
I own my assortment of Cree lights (Lumapower M1, Wolf Eyes 6 +cree mod, Fenix) etc; but I notice I still reach for the U2. Why?
It still puts out a nice wall of light (I don't have much of a donut on mine), it just feels well built (after I adjusted the tabs on the tailcap, I haven't had any tailcap issues), and like you mentioned..the ability to adjust the settings is very useful. I have an older U2, so I use 18650's without any problems. I think the reason I use the U2 over the Lumanpower, is the simplicity of the user interface. It may not be as bright, but I don't have to click all over creation to get to the setting I want (I exaggerate a bit, the lumapower only requires two clicks), and it stays at the setting I want it to stay on. The sum of the package for me is greater than the addition of the parts. Similar rationale for why my McClux is my EDC, it doesn't do any one thing particularly well, it just makes for a good package.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the justification comes from the other end: if you have the money to spare, after meeting your commitments to housing, food, education, your dependents, your kids futures, your savings plan, whatever, then you get what you want. Shouldn't matter what any of us tell you, only you can judge....

Enlightened
Thanks for keeping positive guys and not turning it into a pissing match. It ultimately is my decision of course but I like hearing theories and personal experiences on the particular light. Good views.
creampuff and GreySave, your comments are getting me closer... :grin2:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had tailcap issues with my U2! If you like the light and can afford it, by all means get one!

Mine developed a bad tailcap shortly after I bought it new. I had to send it back to Surefire. It took a really long time. I was annoyed.

Regardless, today I still prefer my U2 over most of my other lights. After it was repaired, I didn't have any more trouble with it. I use it all the time, and I'm glad I have it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Steer clear of it....

I wanted one, and I can afford to buy one, but..... that was before I found a few threads on CPF from a bunch of unhappy U2 owners. It was blatantly clear that the vast majority of CPFers who posted had problems with their U2s. (Mostly with the tailcap switch).

Sorry, but Standard Operating Procedure shouldn't be having to send in your U2 for a replacement tailcap switch. I've also heard of problems with the selector ring, and the head itself.

Considering the price tag, the sheer number of U2s out there that need to be sent back for repairs shortly after purchase.... Its an inexcusable situation. Save your money for cheaper, better lights.

BTW, I own 5 Surefire's myself. The worst problem I have with them is a slightly stiff tailcap switch on my C2. The U2 really should have been recalled by Surefire.

GreySave

Enlightened
Ditto most of what Creampuff just said. I currently have a U2 on order (FedEx shows it on the truck for Monday delivery). I also have lights that are brighter and / or have greater runtime. But after acquiring a Kroma I learned just how nice the Kroma and U2 interfaces are. I can select the power level I desire before tuning the light on instead of starting at high power and downstepping multiple times to the level I want.

Some would say that it is obsolete and to wait for the next generation. I think differently. An item like a computer becomes obsolete because it can no longer run the latest and greatest software...The environment around it has changed rendering it obsolete if you need to run those programs. The night hours are no darker now than they a year ago. The U2 will perform just as well now as it did then. The U2 will provide me with excellent utility. With a beamshaper attached I can carry it or the Kroma with one other light and some spare batteries and cover most of my needs for any given situation. That matters to me as during many activations I have to choose which gear I think I will need and carry only that gear due to space limitations. The U2 just makes sense to me.

Supernam

Enlightened
In my opinion high end lights, which is exactly what Surefire makes, should come with high end, cutting edge, technology ie: Cree/Seoul... PERIOD. If I were Streamlight, Pentagon Light, or Night-Ops, I would jump on this opportunity to fill the market with "tactical" Cree or Seoul powered lights. I refuse to buy another LED SF until then. I would expect a company like SF to be able to develop new products faster than Chinese companies such as Fenix/Hunlight/Lumapower etc. I actually only have one SF that I bought before the Cree, my L6, but have then had it modded with a Cree.

Throw a Cree or Seoul into the U2 and maybe the $300 price tag might be justified. Until then, I'd rather have 5 Fenix P3D's. Sorry for pissing. haha

EV_007

Enlightened
I've had mine for about a few months. I haven't read many posts of bad U2s since the earlier versions.

It holds its own against some of the newer LEDs. I compared it to the Fenix P3D and still find the non CREE, older technology to have a superior build quality and beam profile than some of the products offered as of late.

I use and like all the lights i have, but the U2 still holds its own.

Abrams.357

Newly Enlightened
I've never owned a surefire, but there's a reason everyone loves them so they must be great. As far as the U2 goes... I'd say wait for the next generation of surefires with new emitters to come out.
plus one for all their LEDs (waiting for the cree)

skyline_man

Banned
What makes me laugh is the fact that some members with a surefire go and buy a cree drop in for their surefires! I mean, what's the point? If your Surefire is so good then you shouldn't need to be modding it should you? :crackup:

BTW, i own a surefire M3 combatlight and U2, and believe me - it's not worth spending that much on them!

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
What makes me laugh is the fact that some members with a surefire go and buy a cree drop in for their surefires! I mean, what's the point? If your Surefire is so good then you shouldn't need to be modding it should you? :crackup:

BTW, i own a surefire M3 combatlight and U2, and believe me - it's not worth spending that much on them!

U2's are worth every dime they cost. Dropping a Cree in one would make it less of a light. The LuxV is white and bright. I personally don't care about runtime with a buck apiece Titaniums. I own several Cree lights and none of them are better than my U2. Cree Schmee! :poke:

QuinnK

Newly Enlightened
:)
Steer clear of it....

I'm not at all sure about some of that (and I have had a U2 for about 6 mos and haven't had any problem at all with it). "It was blatantly clear that the vast majority of CPFers who posted had problems with their U2s" has to be carefully read to understand it doesn't mean at all the vast majority of U2 owners have problems, which they do not. If a thread focuses on problems, then I'm sure the majority of posts would indicate problems. I think the tailcap problems were primarily the older versions, I'm not sure it's still a significant issue (it definitely is not "standard procedure" to send your U2 in for tailcap replacement). Many were resolved by tab adjustment, switch lubrication, and SF did send out some replacement caps without sending the light in.

I don't think there has been any more problems with the heads or selector rings than problems with other sophisticated lights, all lights have some problems with individual units.

Sure, you shouldn't have problems with a light that costs that much... but then again you shouldn't have problems with expensive cameras, expensive cars, or any other item that's considered premium... but folks do, nevertheless. :shrug:

It's a unique light, remarkably flexible and useful, with nice beam qualities, and mine is a nice white color with almost no discernible shadow ring on a wall (definitely not in use). It's not for everyone (what is?), but I would guess the vast majority of owners are glad they have it, and some who have sold one sort of wish they had it back. A Cree version might be nice, but then again the one I have is nice enough for my purposes... I'm perfectly content with it.

The worth of a specific item is a subjective evaluation, and like many other things, if you want what a U2 does... that's what it costs. :)

Take care... Quinn

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and I like it very much, well not really one but the business end of an U2, body & tailcap are custom, nevertheless, the unit is solid!

piu2-01

Pablo

Latest posts