LS Hybrid Seconds (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

We are not going to be offering the LS hybrid seconds as originally planned. For those who may not remember, the hybrids were the bridge between the old LS design (rev1) and the new LS design (rev2). They originally sold for $70/each.

I decided not to offer these because the housing technology is just getting too old in my opinion. They are not waterproof and have other deficiencies. We are going to transfer the LEDs and parts to the newer PCBs and housings.

We may offer factory seconds again in the future from the new rev2 housings but this unlikely. Our new manufacturing processes eliminate most defects before they get into a final product.

Peter Gransee

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like to get rid of a few of those old housings, I'll take a coulpe off your hands!
grin.gif

I totally agree that the new Rev 2 housings are much better than the old housings.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make me an offer. We have several hundred housings. This includes the bezel, optic nut, collar and body. You would need the PCB, optic and power pack to make a complete light.

The bezels are anodized and lasered. The bodies are chemkoted but not anodized.

We could sell the PCB's and optics seperately if interested. I will tell you the PCBs are already scheduled to be dismantled. So, if you want some, let me know soon. Otherwise, you would have to make your own PCB.

If you put all these pieces together you would have a flashlight. It would be quite ugly though.

I would require a 10 piece minimum on any one part to simplify things for us.

Peter Gransee

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for sure would like to have two PCB's to replace my puke green LS's. The darn things are potted so I can't get to the LED for replacement.

If eight more folks want to join me, I will start a group buy.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, how about this?

"Grey Kit"

Contains 2 of everything used to make a LS hybrid. 2 of everything increases the chances you will get at least 1 working light from the parts. Sold as-is, instructions posted online.

The kit includes:

2, bezels (most have HA and lasered LS1 inscriptions)
2, optic retention collars
2, optic retention nuts (requires spanner wrench, not included)
2, Rejected optics (may have slight scratches, may be NX01 or NX05 style)
2, bodies (all are unfinished, no HA but most are chemkoted)
2, PCBs with Wayne's newest 400mA circuit
2, Low dome LEDs (already installed on circuit, may be greenish tint)
2, PCB heatsinks, (already fastened to PCB)
2, P-123 power packs (most are unplated)

Cost: $19.95 each kit
Sold "AS-IS", no warranty. Minimum 1 kit per order. Cannot specify quality or type of parts included in kit. There will be enough parts to form (if all parts work and are assembled correctly) 2 complete flashlights. There is a possibility that you will be unable to assemble a single working flashlight from the parts provided.

The $20 price is a several times less than what the parts originally cost us to manufacture.

What do you think? I will only offer this if it uncomplicated for us to do so. I would rather spend our time making the latest design.

Peter Gransee

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I'll take one of those kits if you sell them! Pick me, pick me! No butting in line children.
smile.gif

The main reason I am interested is for experimentation. It is hard for me to do any metal working and I could stick my own stuff in these pieces. So, if you want to sell a kit, I will buy one.

Spud

Well, unless darkgear orders them all (;-)) I am second in line
smile.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look what I started. And since I did, I would take one of the kits.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
Are the pre-installed LD emitters removeable without damaging the circuit? Either way I will buy some of these kits if they are made available.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
Digi-key has this at .72 for singles but is also out of stock. Shipping would push this to what? ~$5.00? Most mail order houses have minimum order levels for good reason. You have to pay for the stamp, envelope and person to grab, stuff and mail...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week, when I realized that I wouldn't be making these hybrids, I sent the PCBs over to be stripped of their valuable parts. I assumed that they wouldn't have got to them yet since pulling parts is not fun.

I called over to our contractor today to see what they have done with the boards so far. They finally decide to be efficient on something and it is the wrong thing...
rolleyes.gif

The LEDs and diodes have been removed since those are in short supply and they can use them on the new boards.

Not sure if you guys would still be interested. You would have to put your diode on the board. We would provide an LED, but it would have a green tint.

So here's the updated proposal:

2, bezels (most have HA and lasered LS1 inscriptions)
2, optic retention collars
2, optic retention nuts (requires spanner wrench, not included)
2, Rejected optics (may have slight scratches, may be NX01 or NX05 style)
2, bodies (all are unfinished, no HA but most are chemkoted)
2, unfinished PCBs with Wayne's newest 400mA circuit (requires LED below and a diode)
2, Low dome LEDs (greenish tint)
2, PCB heatsinks, (already fastened to PCB)
2, P-123 power packs (most are unplated)

Cost: $19.95 each kit
Sold "AS-IS", no warranty. Minimum 1 kit per order. Cannot specify quality or type of parts included in kit.

The expensive coilcraft inductor and .15 ohm sense resistor are already on the board. The board also has a ceramic filter cap and the tiny RC network components. Everything is on the board except the LED, which we provide, and the schottky diode (you provide, part number 1N5819HWDICT-ND, 1 amp, or equiv). This diode is about 10 cents on a reel but it hard to find right now. You could probably substitute for another type or buy from a CPF'er.

Peter Gransee

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I'll still take one since I am more interested (right now anyway) in the actual bodies. Plus MAYBE putting my own LED on the circuit, IF I can find that diode that is needed. Tell us when orders will start to be taken and you'll get my payment.

Spud

Status
Not open for further replies.