Best Headlamp for work?

Ace12

Enlightened
I do HVAC work and alway need to use both h ands when working in the dark. I currently use Streamlights Argo HP. I was wondering if there is anything else available that is brighter and still have as much runtime as the Argo HP. I was considering doing the seoul mod to the Argo, but I dont want to waste my time if i can just buy a light to meet my needs.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I don't know what the runtime on the Argo is, but my Nuwai 712 runs for 5 hours on high with a pair of 123a cells. It's definitely my favorite headlamp, even if it is a bit front-heavy.

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Ace12

It looks like the runtime of the argo hp is up to 9 hours and generates 33 lumens (according to the streamlight website).

FoxFury has two headlamps that have better runtime and brightness. We also have our Pro 3 Tactical headlamp, which is 500 lumens and uses CR123s. The Command and Performance below use 4 AAs.

Our Command 20 tactical light is 44.5 lumens. Runtime at full power is 16 to 30 hours (varies by mode) with up to 40 hours of reserve light.

Our Performance Tactical light is 51 lumens. Runtime at full power is 6-8 hours (varies by mode) with up to 12 hours of reserve light.

You can find more details at: http://foxfury.com/applications/professional/tactical.htm

scottaw

Enlightened
My PT Apex Pro has run for 3-3day camping trips so far without changing batteries yet. I've also used it a few times around the house. It may be more light than you need (much more in my case) but the different brightness levels do come in handy when you need them. Also, the headband is very comfortable for a long wear.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Since the only requirement is something brighter than the Argo HP and with the same runtime, take a look at the Princeton Tec Apex (uses 4AA, works really well on NIMH rechargables).

A fast 1hr charger and 8 Nimh AA rechargeables would give you ongoing light for the whole day. Runtime on Hi with Nimh is 3h 45m (search for GCBStokes apex runtimes), I think that Lo would be over 10hrs.

A review can be found here: www.flashlightreviews.com, along with other headlamps including the Argo HP.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ace12,
The Seoul and Cree LEDs are still relatively new and have not found their way into too many headlamps yet. CPFer Milkyspit might mod your Argo for a fee, which is probably the route I would choose.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st: do the Seoul mod to Your Argo
2nd: use a li-Ion cell with it.
17650 should fit in directly, 18650 with some work (I have a tread in modded for this)
The original circuit works with the cell, the 2 levels are still present, current draw from batt is 80 and 350 mA.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
another vote for dropping in a 17670 li-ion cell into Argo HP. no mods needed. don't care for 18650 mod, leave light fragile.

mine is changed out to Sbin, which increased output from side emitter. this was done before cree/P4 came out.

it's been my main work headlamp ever since. for AC work, undercar transmission etc. works great!

naturally if I did same mod today, I'd use a cree.

Ace12; said:
I do HVAC work and alway need to use both h ands when working in the dark. I currently use Streamlights Argo HP. I was wondering if there is anything else available that is brighter and still have as much runtime as the Argo HP. I was considering doing the seoul mod to the Argo, but I dont want to waste my time if i can just buy a light to meet my needs.

Ace12

Enlightened
Will the p4 work with 2 cr123a batteries or is 6 volts too much for it? The 17650 is only 3.7 volts, is that enough to push the p4 to its full potential?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the circuit is planned for the 2 CR123s but runs good on the Li-Ion also,
no led is pushed to its potential, because the circuit does not give full power to them.
Its only double bright, because the led is double bright compared to the original Luxeon

(PS: the housing or led will burn to death if run on full 1 A current, there is not enough heatsink inside)

cy

Flashaholic
Argo HP w/17870 li-ion cell and upgraded emitter is my favorite work headlamp. And backup headlamp to Stenlight for caving.

here's the original Argo HP mod post with detailed how to instructions. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/ beam pattern was extremely tight even after shaving quite a bit of material off reflector to make switch from side emitter to high dome Sbin luxeon. beam pattern ended up extremely tight.

have not done Cree or P4 conversion yet, but my guess is Cree would more closely mate to Argo HP reflector. My Sbin conversion works so well. have not needed to open backup. probably will purchase another Argo HP to try Cree mod.

if you want to talk bright!

NiteRider Storm HID and Lights & Motion ARC HID headlamps will put out more lumens than any other headlamps that I'm aware of. both come with li-ion packs that will run for 6 to 10 hours+ depending upon pack chosen. (up to 8x 18650 pack)

Stenlight currently is the best of it's class caving headlamp available. uses 2x 18650 li-ion pack or several other pack configs.

For Argo HP ($30 + $10 cree + 17670) to be mentioned in same league as it's $300+ brothers shown below.....

Argo HP mod is a super simple, durable/water resistant, low cost mod that's small in size while giving 10+ hours runtime on high (30+ hrs low) for me the perfect work headlamp!

headlamps.JPG

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree would more closely mate to Argo HP reflector.
Of course its not this important, but, as Ace12 seems not to be in modding heavily, I have to comment on this:
1st of all, the cree emits a much shorter main beam (70 to 140 degrees compared with Seoul), so it is way worse in any reflector (for light focused by the reflector).

The seoul in the original extremely wide Argo refli makes a heav ringy and bad beam (but I have left it this way by now, while using its not this bad).

Most Reflectors to use tend to be on the focused side, IMS 17, which workg with the Seoul with just minor changes might be best.
If there is even more flood needed, an optice with some 15 degrees would be best.

good modding

vic303

Enlightened
Looking for suggestions for a headlamp, possibly incan, that would serve my husband well in his job. He's a phone tech and doing outside work, he is 'in' dark junction boxes, in broad daylight, so I fear that an LED will wash out in the ambient light. Any recommendations?

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Hello ACE12

I do HVAC work as well. I think I've only owned one other headlamp, but the new River Rock K2 3AA sold at Target has been what I've been using for the last couple of months. At only $25 it has been pretty good. It has three light levels and a strobe. I don't use high for long due to it's lack of heat sink. The thing is very bright though... I estimate Probably around 100 lum. on high. It supposedly has a long runtime on low. I still have the same Duracell alki's that came with it. It's been pretty rugged too. It's not a high end headlight by any means but I like it alot.

cy

Flashaholic
will have to check out new river rock headlamp. RR 2x AAA headlamp was used for workheadlamp before argo hp

one major drawback with Argo HP is battery cap sticks too tight. And also clicky can come on accidentally, draining cell.

solution is to mark cap that comes off with a file. tighten lightly to make cell contact. then unscrew cap 1/2 turn or so when done with light.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello ACE12

I do HVAC work as well. I think I've only owned one other headlamp, but the new River Rock K2 3AA sold at Target has been what I've been using for the last couple of months. At only $25 it has been pretty good. It has three light levels and a strobe. I don't use high for long due to it's lack of heat sink. The thing is very bright though... I estimate Probably around 100 lum. on high. It supposedly has a long runtime on low. I still have the same Duracell alki's that came with it. It's been pretty rugged too. It's not a high end headlight by any means but I like it alot.

i liked that one. good value. biggest weakness is the heat sink. i ran it 2hrs straight on high. it got really hot but it didn't melt and you cant feel it on your head. some might claim the beam pattern was too tight. fine for me though.
it was actually more comfortable without the front padding whih created a pressure point on the forehead.
good value for the amount of light it produces

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Someone modded the K2 in another forum some where. They took out the optics and put in a textured reflector with a glass lense. I do think the beam is a little tight, but it gets the job done, since it's so bright. I agree with it making the forehead hot. I want to go take it apart right now to see if it's possible to put in a sink of some sort.

Ace12

Enlightened
I looked at that River Rock at Target today. Looks pretty nice. Advertised run time on high is 16 hours. Hard to believe for a K2 with 3AA batteries. I might check into it if the reflector mod works well. I prefer not to have a very tight beam for work, but who knows I may give it a shot.

Ace12

Enlightened
Any good cree headlamps out yet? Wish fenix would make a headlamp with the same output and runtime as the P3D. Pulling my hair out trying to find a good bright work light with good runtime:hairpull:

cy

Flashaholic
looks like coleman 4x AA Cree headlamp is the one to check out.