Quad SSC Mag Build

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks, I kindly ask if anyone knows how to make such as beast or could point me in the right thread.

I was thinking of using Modamag's #4D Quad Emitter MagD Kit, but I'm confused as I don't see it on the Shoppe's list or if it is compatible with the Seoul emitters. I was also considering getting items from Litemania but he only has Tri Mag components.

So what I am looking for is:
1) 4+ Seoul emitters
2) Each LEDs driven at 900mA+
3) Mag D or C host
4) Under $150 (not including batteries, I have many kinds already)

Thanks!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Effulgence,

Send me an PM of your address, and I'll mod a PES for your Quad.

IMHO, Cree XRE are much much MUCH better than SSC P4 for > 700mA drive. The phosphor does not degrade "as quickly".

In anycase you need to try to see for yourself.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted details of a 2C Quad-Seoul here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165926

My next planned Magmod is a 2C Quad-Cree Q2 using Modamag's PXR sink and (4) McR19XRs. With Mirageman's upcoming reflector centering rings, and the Shoppe's Shark/Remora boards, it should build up relatively easily and nicely. I'm hoping for a warmer tint, brighter, and as Modamag mentioned, better lumen maintenance.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, now I am starting to doubt my Quad SSC Mag build... Maybe a Cree would do well, but I already have enough Seouls. LED Zeppelin, is it possible to fit more emitters onto a Mag D? You have made the quad SSC on a Mag C, I am wondering potentially how many Crees or SSC's could fit onto a Mag D head. I was looking for more flood in the first place, so maybe I could just overpopulate the head full of emitters with a really beefy heatsink and forget about reflectors? :D

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Zeppelin, is it possible to fit more emitters onto a Mag D? You have made the quad SSC on a Mag C, I am wondering potentially how many Crees or SSC's could fit onto a Mag D head. I was looking for more flood in the first place, so maybe I could just overpopulate the head full of emitters with a really beefy heatsink and forget about reflectors? :D

My cell solution of choice in my 2C lights is 2 X 18650 with a Fivemega deep tailcap, or 2 X 18500 with the stock tail. That gives 7.4 rated volts driving a string with a Vf of around 13 V, and a runtime of a bit over an hour on hi with the 18650s. Running 9 V with 3 X CR123s, the runtime is about 45 minutes.

D and C size Mag heads have the same surface area for emitters. I wanted throw, so I opted for the quad 20 mm reflectors.

Another issue at 1 amp is heat. My light gets toast warm after a few minutes. Not hot, and the heatsinking does its job very well, but add 25% more heat with another emitter and it may become marginal for unattended durations like ceiling bounce candle mode.

Using smaller reflectors and more emitters you'll need to carefully consider what cells you'll be running and how you'll be driving them or you might not get 1 amp, much runtime, or adequate heat dissipation.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking why do with all the reflectors on top of a heatsink when the heatsink and reflectors could be just one single unit. It could probably suck for throw, but tons of flood by having the heatsink beefier and closer to the lens.

It would probably look like a basket or multiple concave surfaces. An outer rim on the outside to cup up and around toward the lens.

Or maybe just a really thick heatsink that elevates the emitters very close to the lens and add tiny reflectors. I think someone here modded a Surefire with 4x LEDs, it might have been a Milky mod. Hmm...