Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Div.1: avoid

I owned two Streamlight 4AA PP Luxeon in Division 2 until now. One lives in my car permanently and the other one was an every day use.

Streamlight offers unconditional replacement if you manage to break it, but I did what's not covered under the warranty, aka losing it. so I had to buy another one. This time, I got the higher safety rating Div 1 vesrion.

Division 1: cost $10 more shipped from Fox-intl than Div 2

Different regulator. Has a sky blue module base and the regulation is not up to par with the division 2.

Power it up with 3 cells, the division 2 version will draw more current to compensate for lower voltage to maintain same output.

Division 1 showed reduction in current with 3 cell operation, which shows it is drawing less power with less input voltage, thus loss of regulation.

Do get the Division 1 if you plan on wearing it on your helmet inside a fuel tank wearing an SCBA.

Get the Division 2 otherwise.

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
I'm trying to figure the reason why they'd design it like this. Doesn't make much sense.
Well, possibly this was their first design and they had that approved. Given the numbers they sell, it wasn't economical to send the regulated redesign for approval.
Or maybe and hopefully, you simply received a faulty one. Why not ask Streamlight if this might be the case ?