What's the best 1x18650 light - at different price points

LightScene

Enlightened
I would like to find out what kind of 18650 light flashaholics recommend at different price points - let's say under $30, under $70, under $100, over $100.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Pila G2 with Cree module. Replacement modules are available that have other outputs/regulation/modes. This light has a fantastic beam with a nice combination of bright hotspot and good smooth spill.

The Pila feels great in the hand and is built like a tank. It is built very well and has a nice finish. The Pila charger is very high quality and has a little higher charge rate than some others so the batteries can charge faster. It is definately not a pocket light but more a holster light. Overall a very high quality package. The light with Cree is around $79.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS w/18650 tube? Good luck finding the tube though.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Wolf-Eyes 1X18650/2XCR123 flashlight gets my vote.
Real tough light like any SureFire, great finish, real tactical clicky, can use both LED modules or several types of High Output incan bulbs on the same battery, without changing the stock body, bezel or reflector. All that at a low price tag. What's not to like?

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Under $70 the VB-16 4th gen is unbeatable, I have 4.
Under $100 I'd have to go with the Lumapower M1 with the Seoul and Cree modules.
Over $100 I go with the Surefire Kroma with the Leef 18650 body... covers a wide variety of lighting needs.
Out of all of them, if I could only pick 1, I'd have to go with the VB-16.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D-mini will run for over three hours with very little drop in output compared to other 18650 lights with a 18650 tube. You can get the tube now form the Fenix store or wait for lumapower's version in July.

JimmyME

Newly Enlightened
Under $30, I like the Venture from Kai Domain. 2 levels, long run time and bright! Has regulation per curve on Kai Domain.

fletch31

Newly Enlightened
"under $30: EastwardYJ U2 style"

The U2 style light at dealextreme is 1200mA regulated which is the highest amperage being fed to a Cree that I can find that is a non custom LED light. That means it is pushing the Cree closer to its full potential to generate the most lumens. The D-mini is getting 550mA, the Lumapower M1 tactical is getting 750mA and the highly touted Lumapower MRV is only being fed 1000ma. I know the reflector in the MRV is real nice,designed for throw and the body is HAIII but the U2 is 1/4th the price and can be fitted with an aspheric lens for less than 10 bucks to make it an MRV killer. (30mm aspheric with 15mm focal length from surplusshed.com. Its the same diameter as the reflector) That is the route I am going. I'm not looking for useful sidespill or a light for hunting around inside the house. I want to make an LED light weapon to sear the eyes of a crackhead coming up to mug me while walking through a public park to my car after my night classes are over. -and I want to do it on the cheap. Make your own MRV killer for less than 36 bucks. More lumens will be generated at the LED with 1200mA being fed and they will be concentrated to throw even further with the lens.

Last edited:

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Here's a new one at Kia under $22. With its strobe mode, might be more suited for self defense than the U2 Style, if the stobe is instant on.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4226

SKU: 4226
in-stock-icon.png
Typically ships in 2 business days
free-shipping.png
Worldwide Free Shipping
- Features a Cree XR-E P4 emitter
- Crown Assult Bezel
- Glass lens with aluminum textured reflector
- 3W Regulated Circuitry
- Takes 1 x 18650
- Switch type: 5-mode clicky on/off: mid > low > high > fast strobe > slow strobe (soft-press to change mode, click to toggle on/off)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have A19 XR-E head, Leef 18650 body and Leef C tailswitch. Comes to about $240. Not exactly cheap but you do get excellent build quality and near perfect regulated light output. The McR-19XR relflector also creates incredible throw for the size and a smooth beam profile at the same time.

a19sw5.jpg

Kudos on the Kim Possible Avatar, Bror Jace. I thought I was the only one who liked KP.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have A19 XR-E head, Leef 18650 body and Leef C tailswitch. Comes to about $240. Not exactly cheap but you do get excellent build quality and near perfect regulated light output. The McR-19XR relflector also creates incredible throw for the size and a smooth beam profile at the same time.

May we see the beamshots.