Led throw on a budget

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am officially a forum lurker and have now emerged from the cave. I have an interesting problem. I am looking at getting a led flashlight with really good throw. Preferabley something for a mid - low range budget. No surefire M4's for me sadly. Any ideas? or am i looking to achieve the impossible. Also is it better to buy cr123's online or locally? Thanks for any help.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumapower MRV for the light? Buy 123s online. It'd be even better to buy RCR123s and a charger, as that would be very much cheaper and less polluting to operate.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Well I will leave the best throw for the buck recomendations to other CPF er's with more experience. that said the best price for 3 volt lithium's can be had at www.amondotech.com $1.00 each. he even sells 2&3 cell battery clusters for larger lights with no mis matched voltage issues.....hope this helps you will pay 3-5 times this price locally.

cuester

Newly Enlightened
I'm working at a camp this summer and am looking to get a light that will project across the field the cabins are situated around. As to actual distances. As for distance maybe 130-140 feet.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working at a camp this summer and am looking to get a light that will project across the field the cabins are situated around. As to actual distances. As for distance maybe 130-140 feet.

You definitely don't need an MRV for that. Any of the Pelican Recoil LED series (among MANY other lights) would be quite adequate for your purposes.

With lights from DX/Kai, just remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I'd agree with the Fenix l2d-ce. However, if you want to spend less the Eastwardly YJ (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4424) at Deal Extreme is a great thrower. It's only $27.13, shipping included. The only problem to me is that you need an 18650 or two cr123 batteries, which means batteries and charger.

You can find a review of it at Lightreviews.info:

http://www.lightreviews.info/

Harvey

Last edited:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Sorry to keep mentioning this one, but it really does have a lot of throw, and it's cheap. Here's the old thread that seems to have popped up again tonight. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/139870

Geoff
+1 :twothumbs It uses commonly available 2 C batteries (no chargers, "special batteries"), and is only $19.99 from your local Advance Auto Parts store.

If you have no Advance Auto Parts by you, you can get the "equivalent" the TaskForce 2C ($29.99) from you local Lowes store. It's the same light (internals), just slightly better materials. But, IMO not enough justification for the $10 premium.

Plus, when you get more "confident", you can upgrade the emitter to Seoul to make this light even brighter!

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is a thread I posted containing some beamshots of a few LED lights I have with fairly good throw, including the Ultrafire C2 (the one from Kai has a better outer coating, the one from DX has a better tint), a Maglite I modded to use a Seoul, optimized for long runtime (You might be able to pick one of these up in the B/S/T forum), and a lumapower M1 with aspheric lens. Sorry I couldn't set up a longer-range beamshot.

Even the stock M1 is one of the best general purpose lights for your purposes (it's a bit pricy, though) and would probably be perfect for your needs. With the lens, it becomes a monster -- blows away any other LED I've ever used for throw (larger lenses are actually too concentrated to be useful IMO, the 30mm x 15mm lens is perfect), it will out throw any reflector-based single-emitter LED light.

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I greatly appreciate your help. I'm going ot look closer at the Fenix L2D-CE.

Melkor

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if you're still looking or have any size requirements, but when I was in Wal Mart yesterday I noticed they had the 2D MagLED (body + module) red stickered for $25. I don't know if it's just here or they're doing it in other Wal Marts, too, but you might want to check that out. As as added bonus, the large and heavy Maglites can be used to bludgeon any machete wielding monsters that try to disrupt your summer camp.

Here's a review: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

And here's a sortable throw (and output) measurement list: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to the MagLED idea.I prefer the 2C but you will have to buy the module seperately.If you can spend more the Lumipower D-mini with a two stage switch runs around $60,it has great throw with the smooth reflector and is cheaper than the MRV.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to modify, a MagLED with a Seoul LED will be very bright for the first few minutes before the driver supplies less energy to prevent the LED from overheating.

Welcome to CPF!