cannot access google; use google ip!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
the page starts loading and then times out still blank..only way out is to force quit explorer...

I'm not the only one;
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=1411&highlight=ping+google

I can get to earthlink search powered by google, and I can get to froogle..just not google.

I don't really understand the details of the problem..can anyone tell me what to do to fix it?

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: cannot access google

I had trouble with gmail a few months back ( google is working fine for me ). I have a cable connection - cablevision . after much messing around with the pc - I turned off my cable modem for about 10 minutes - that fixed it...

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: cannot access google (a fix?!)

tried that one a loog time ago... erased all cookies, cache, all that didn't work.

I did find a way to access google just now: paste the IP address in the browser!

google ip: http://209.85.135.104/

works likitysplit. don't know why.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first step toward fixing your problem is here:

www.firefox.com

Seriously.

While I use FireFox for everything (last time in a year I used I.E. was to buy a Fenix-Store P3D-CE which came yesterday--PayPal Credit Card would not work with FF for me)--there is a good possibility that FF will not fix your problem.

Between having a "hosts" file with google.com being directed elsewhere to a hard-drive full of adware/malware that have gotten on-board because of I.E.'s poor security and policies--you may end up needing a complete washing of your Windows Computer to get rid of the stuff.

Do yo want to turn this into a spyware/malware diagnosis thread?

-Bill

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammit, I have been planning on getting firefox but forgot over the past several days with the distraction of fire-police required brush-clearing..the eighteen wheeler JUST drove away with the roll-off full of tons of sumac..

so thanks for reminding me -- I have to drive the computer into town to load firefox, my dial up is too slow.. even if it doesn't fix the problem, it would be logical to try to solve with the ff installed..

Bill, it's a mac -- ? what exactly are you suggesting I do, if installing ff won't solve it?

thanks.

watt4

Enlightened
might be interesting to try using the google search box at the top of the cpf page. see if that works for you.

uncheck the "cpf only" thing

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, can't help with Mac (last one I drove for two minutes was a b&w about the size of a toaster--not bashing--but always used PC's and UNIX/etc. for my engineering jobs--The new windows--when old XP support goes away--will probably force me to Linux or something else).

You probably don't have the malware issues that a PC can get--and like Bark' says--there are lots of things that can go wrong and prevent one or more addresses from correctly resolving. The browser is at the end of a very long chain of things that can fail.

FireFox is nice--but it is not the 2nd coming.

-Bill

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clarify, FF probably won't fix this problem, but it's for first thing I'd do if I was you.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some actual help for the problem.

Open up a terminal window (in Ultilities I think) and type "nslookup www.google.com" without the quotes. It should give and ip address, post that here.

Then type "traceroute www.google.com" and post the results of that.

Last edited:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have DNS problems with your ISP. Switch your DNS servers to OpenDNS, and that should solve your problem.