Searching for the stainless wire wrapper

kevtanusa

Newly Enlightened
tightener and locker kit that I saw was posted in CPF sometimes ago. Its like a device that wraps the wires around the straws to a broom. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

kevtanusa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a bunch eluminator!!

For someone who doesnt know what I'm talking about, you got me exactly!! Thanks again and have a good day Sir.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you should get one and use it a while, let us know if it really is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Actually I usually buy unsliced bread, but that's another story.

I do know the feeling when trying to search for something and I can't figure out just what words to search for. It's frustrating when you know it exists but all you can turn up is thousands of links to something else.

I don't know how I found this one, maybe I've learned something after all, or maybe I was just lucky.

Apparently the magic words that found the link are "wrap twist lock steel wire tool". That's what is in my Google search box.

mahoney

Enlightened
I've had the cheap version of the tool for a few years. It's OK for making hose clamps and so forth. I've used it to repair a lot of air hoses. It's a pain to use with any wire that is hardened or springy. The Clamptite wire is expensive, but works well with the tool. The tool flexes a lot when you really put pressure on, but I suppose the better tools would be a solution (although an expensive one) to that problem

kevtanusa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the usage report mahony. I just ordered a cheapo unit for $33.35 shipped to my favourite man in the USA, Roger of www.knifeworks.com to be reshipped back to me in Malaysia.

lukus

Enlightened
You can get galvanized and stainless steel wire used for electric fences. It's annealed (soft), twists fairly easily and comes in different guages. Someplace like Tractor Supply or even Home Depot.

I have a small 50 foot roll, about the size of a skoal can, in my truck kit for emergencies. Don't remember where I got it, but it's stainless 18 ga. Good stuff.

ledlurker

Enlightened
I have a tool similiar to that that dates back to the early 20th century. My grandfather once told me that in the early days of car manufacturing (pre (1920's) the wire based hose clamp was quite common. He even had a two foot long one that he used on bigger repairs like wooden barrel and the like.

kevtanusa

Newly Enlightened
ledlurker, them tool that your grandpappy used musta been huge!! A pic if you can please.

mahoney

Enlightened
Clothes hanger wire with the cheap tool is do-able, but not easy, especially if you are going around something small. Remember, the tool tightens the clamp, you have to form the clamp by hand first.

ledlurker

Enlightened
I do not have the 2 foot one. The small one I have looks almost like the one posted except it has a 2 inch wingnut, and no crossbraces up near the tip of the tool and has a nice patina of rust since it is all steel.

I have one of the newer ones for about 3 or 4 years. the cheaper ones are made of aluminum and the better ones are stainless steel. A buddy of mine slipped on a mountain in Colorado and split the stock of his rifle. He used it to make a temporary repair until he could get the stock replaced.

that reminds me, my grandfather had an old 16 gauge single shot shotgun that had the stock wrapped with wire. I will have to ask my brother to look at the gun and see if it is that type of repair. It has held up for over 60 years.