How do I open a KL4?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might switch the LED to LUX V. Can anyone point me to where I find the parts, and how to do this? Is it a straight forward mod? Unsolder one, and solder in the new one?
Thanks

funder

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've done one
The stock KL4 use LUX V emitter, you can open KL4 and replace the lux V with a SSC emitter, but after this, 2*123A primary cell may not be safe and I suggest you to use a 17670 rechargable instead.

Open the KL4 is the most difficult part in this modding, I use an container to put KL4 in and use the boiling water to heat it, this is because the glue used by SF will be destructed by heat. After heat for 15 mins, you can use some rubber protect the surface and increase the grip, use your hand turn counter-clockwise, if it doesn't work, use a piler.

funder

Newly Enlightened
The shell of KL4 is composed by 3 parts, to switch the emitter, just open the bottom one is OK, after it is removed, you can see two screws, unscrew them then you can see the emitter.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize the stock was a LUX V. The one I have is a sickly color with donut hole that needs to go away. I want to stay with 2X123 batterries. Any suggestions?

Darell

Flashaholic
I didn't realize the stock was a LUX V. The one I have is a sickly color with donut hole that needs to go away. I want to stay with 2X123 batterries. Any suggestions?

Best suggestion is to use a better quality LuxV. And you may want to try shimming it to get rid of the hole.... though a new emitter may just solve the problem for you.

funder

Newly Enlightened
The hole is caused by Lux V emitter, you can put the emitter slightly out of focus to reduce or remove the donut.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moving the lux out of focus will remove the "hole"
but will kill the focus or throw (if any at all)...

I do suggest getting a more efficient emitter (like the Cree XR-E)
and a different, single battery (17670) configuration...

I did the Cree KL4 with great results...
Read more about it here...

Cheers ! :wave:

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I tried boiling it for 15 minutes, and it didn't work. Then I tried for 30 minutes, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an electric heat gun (much hotter than a hairdryer - be careful) and rubber strap wrenches.

Daekar

Enlightened
I'm interested in replacing the LED in my L2 Lumamax with a Seoul P4, and have the same problem: How do I open the head? Would I have the same problem where I couldn't use 3.0v CR123a or 3.0v RCR123a? I didn't know that the Lux emitters had a different Vf rating than the Cree-die emitters. Should I try this boiling tactic?