Luxeon III replacement.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 watt luxeon star flashlight can i replace it with SSC P4 or Cree X-re emitters?

thanks.

Grubbster

Enlightened
The easiest replacement for a luxeon is the seoul led. It is pretty much a straight swap. The only thing that is different is the slug of the seoul has the opposite polarity of the luxeon and must be electrically insulated to prevent a short.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Edison Opto, I don't remember the LED's name, is a direct replacement for a Luxeon LED. The main problem is the Edison has a yellow ring around the hot-spot when used with a reflector. The Seoul needs a 0.03 inch lift to be in the right focus point for a Luxeon reflector. Without the lift the light will have more flood.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a 30 usd china made flashlight with 2xAA direct driven LED.
Just found out it is not Luxeon III but a 3 Watt Prolight LED. I really loves how bright my Fenix L2D-CE with Cree and thingking of upgrading this old outshined flashlight with new LED. I guess bright is never bright enough.

What confused me in selecting which Cree's/SSC LED is that 3w prolight LED require a minimum of 2.7V to run but i use 2xAA Ni-MH which is 2.4 nominal Voltage but still the brightness is similiar to 2xAA Alkaline(3V).
Cree/SSC led require 3.7 volt to run but will it run on 2.4v regardless?

Thanks