9P / 8XN / stinger

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I want a high power dailiy carry light for less than $100. I have narrowed down the choices to the 9P,8XN, and the stinger. My usage is non-tachtical (Although you never know
smile.gif
). Since I do carry a mini mag, I will only need my high power light for HIGH power needs, this is likly to be about 5 min a week. This would lend itself well to the litium light. But at $75 for the 9P I am considering the 8XN or a stinger since they are less than $20 more for about the same light output, size and burn time. I do understand that the Nicad batteries do require maintaince (draining and charging once in a while)where as the lithium do not. I am not opposed to spending $10 a month for batteries, but free sounds better.
grin.gif
I like the idea of the upgradability of the 9P with 200lum bulb and the turbo head. I do not like the $20 for the bulbs and the lack of waterproofing in the SF's. I know the streamlight is not water-proof, but I am guessing it is better than the SF. I think that I want an adjustable beam like the Streamlight, but I could be swayed from that. My question is why would I want to still buy a Lithium versus NiCad, and overall which light do you recomend. (correct me on my above statments if they are false). Some comment on poly/alumium would also be interesting.

Brock

Flashaholic
I can't say what you want in your situation, but I would suggest a D3 or an E2 (when they come out). If you don't mind the larger light a rechargable is nice, but they are to big to carry all the time. I carry a D2 with a P60 lamp. I have been thinking of upgrading to a D3. I use about a set of batteries a week or so, and I will pay for the batteries myself for the smaller size. The 8NX falls between the 6P and 9P for brightness, but about twice the size and weight of a 6P.

Just my $.02

Brock

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Thanks for the feed back Brock, but I am confused. The D3 is a 3 cell light and has the same published dimessions as the 9P and the 8X is about 1/2" longer than the D3/9P (again published dimensions) I don't understand your how the 9P or 8X would be too big to "daily carry" while you recomend the D3. Mabey I should carify that I will be using a belt and holster. What are your thoughts on the lockout tail cap? What is involved in operting it? Thanks
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire LockOut TailCap is a great feature. It allows you to have the flashlight off when you want it off, or ready when you think you'll need it.

It works by using two small "notches", one on the TailCap & one on the flashlight. When they are lined up, the push switch works. When the TailCap is unscrewed 1 half turn so the notches are at oposite sides of the flashlight, it is "Locked Out". I can tell just by touch if it's locked or not. I can even "unlock it" in my pocket with one hand.

Unlike previous TailCaps, the "Z41" has a waterproof sealed switch which can only travel in a set distance when pressed. This allows it to be 'backed off' enough so that it can not activate, yet still remain water tight with the double 'o' ring seals.
[the waterproofing issue with SureFires is mainly the lens seals, and the 'screw-in' Pyrex lenses are significantly more water tight then the Lexan]. The Nitrolon Polymer SureFires are not waterproof.

Anyway, I'd carry an M3/M3T. I can only suggest that you try out each of the flashlights and see which you like.
The D3 has improved features over the 9P. As you are using a belt & holster, a 9V SureFire is not going to be a problem I think.

I'm not using SureFires for "tactical" uses either, but I really appreciate the 'Millennium Series' - especially the Hard Anodise, CombatGrip and Shock Isolation.

Al

Brock

Flashaholic
I was thinking of the 6P size or 2 cell size, when I said it was smaller and lighter. My D2 is very close to the 8NX in brightness. The 8NX is heavier then the M3 but about the same physical size. The M3 is much brighter though.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Lets take a look at the original post - to summarize -looking for a high output (surefire) lamp as a backup to a mini-mag, with waterproofness as a desire. Concern over lithium vs. rechargable, but with most use given to the mini-mag, lithium is still an option.

Let me say from experience, once you own the surefire, the mag will likely become a back seat light, never to be used again. You'll toss it in a drawer somewhere, forget about the batteries, they'll cororde, and you'll eventually toss it as an excuse to buy another surefire.

Every surefire I own is more waterresistant than the best maglight. This is due to the machining tolerances and o-rings, and design. The M2 is especially water reistant (waterproof I believe they call it) due to the double o-ring. My 9N has been used continouously in pouring rain without any problems whatsoever. After assembling new bateries in my 6P, you can hear the pressure vent when pressing the button for the first time - that's the sealing that comes standard.

I think that when you're dealing with a quality product like the surefire, you'll find that the ratings are Very conservative. Sure, if you drop the light to the bottom of your swimming pool (unless it's an M2) - it's going to fill up with water, but the mini mag will be gone long before that! If I fell in the water carrying both the mini-mag and a surefire, I'd reach for the surefire first knowing how well built they are.

Right now, the 8x/8NX series can be had with 2 rechargable batteries for under $100 - it's bright, suitable for daily use (which it will get once you see the beam quality and get a feel for it) - and if repeated submersion in water is a big issue for you, teflon pipe tape will do wonders for waterproofing seals. Plus the 8x is very similar in size to the mini-mag, and the switch operates the same way (twist the head) - so it should be an easy transition.

Take a surefire out at night, turn on the beam, then turn on your mini-mag - compare the rings, shadows, darkspots, brightspots (which is where the candlepower ratings are taken). The surefire will immediately become your favorite, and nothing else will do.

The only light manufacturer other than surefire that trys to keep a "near perfect" beam is Streamlight - they're not quite as good, but I'd agree with the other posts, if surefire is a 9, streamlight is a 7, and mag is a 4.