New Philips LED closet lights come with motion sensing

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those do look neat, I wonder if the magnetic back is just for holding the battery cover on or if they will also stick to a steel surface. Those would be great for some of the steel storage cabinets I have that are hard to see in.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
After another look I see that the back is magnetic and the batteries are exposed by just pulling the light off of the surface.

aceo07

Enlightened
I hope it's $10 or under. I bought 2 of the Dot-it lights and they work great. One is on the top of the stairs. Not having to press the button to turn it on would be great. Heck, even just have auto-off would be nice.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting. They say out by the end of the year and they look like perfect co-worker Christmas gifts.

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the photos of the emitters and reflectors this looks like it has awesome potential. I don't know but judging from the beam shots though the lux from this light seems to be seriously lacking. Maybe drop in some SSC's or Crees? What kind of emitters are those? They look like the latest 1 watters...But I'm not sure it should be brighter. Would love to hear someone review these things. :D

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was wondering about the emitters also. I can't tell whether they're 5mm LEDs or those .5 watt units. I'm guessing that it's moddable though.

Edro

Newly Enlightened
After another look I see that the back is magnetic and the batteries are exposed by just pulling the light off of the surface.
I saw the same thing. I hope they put some type of recessed hole in the back to be able to hang it...as there are no metal surfaces in my closet.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like it that it will be led(battery last longer) and the price projection is cheap. i've seen battery operated motion sensing lights before in target but it was too expensive. 10 is a good price.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with motion sensing circuits but is there a possibility that there will be continual battery drain and results in less than ideal runtime if, say the closet isn't visited over a prolonged duration?

moon lander

Enlightened
they didnt say it automatically turns on, just that it automatically turns off after 15 seconds with no motion. if its true, it would save lots of power.

the alternative is that it runs a constant IR led and IR phototransistor to sense motion, wasting power while its off, waiting to sense motion to turn on

thats why i have a feeling that its an auto-off light, using the white led light to sense motion. still very cool tho.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's easy to sense motion passively; most of those halloween decorations that detect motion and trigger a pre-recorded spooky sound use a simple photocell to detect a change in light level. That change can easily be amplified and squared up into a nice sharp pulse to trigger the playback, and the quiescent current can be kept in the range of nanoamps with CMOS circuitry.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3156

is this any good?

sku_3156_1.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I hope it's $10 or under. I bought 2 of the Dot-it lights and they work great. One is on the top of the stairs. Not having to press the button to turn it on would be great. Heck, even just have auto-off would be nice.
Even if they're more, there will be Chinese clones soon enough. My local dollar store had Dot-it clones for, of course, $1. They lacked the aluminum shell of the real thing, but otherwise seem just as good. I modded one with Hebei 60° whites which makes it more useful for the intended function than the stock 20° LEDs. Less blue as well.

Here's some pictures of the Dot-it clone:

P4280269.jpg

P4280267.jpg

P4280268.jpg

P4280270.jpg

A comparison of modded versus unmodded (modded on the right):

P5040273.jpg

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
These may have some potential. As long as they don't suck up the batteries waiting for a heat source to turn on with.

I bought one of the tap lights with a single cree in it from dealextreme. That think is amazingly bright. I have serveral of the 3 LED tap lights and the cree blows them away.

Latest posts