I just realized

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Most higher grade flashlights are made of aluminum which conducts electricity. If you have a 6V or higher flashlight and the body is used to complete the circuit, why don't we get a shock when it's on?

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
Most higher grade flashlights are made of aluminum which conducts electricity. If you have a 6V or higher flashlight and the body is used to complete the circuit, why don't we get a shock when it's on?
Because it's not grounded and there is not a complete circuit through your body.

Chuck289

Enlightened
Electricity is going to take the path where there is the least resistance, and that certainly isn't your hand.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your not in contact with both the positive and negative. That's why birds can perch on live bare power lines and those are thousands of volts (AC though)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electricity is going to take the path where there is the least resistance, and that certainly isn't your hand.

Just adding to your statement, electricity will take ALL paths to complete a circuit not just the one with the least resistance though the majority of the current will take the least resistant path.

mdocod

Flashaholic
takes a lot more than 6V to start making significant transfers through dry skin.

[edit in]and the body of most aluminum flashlights has some sort of coating, be it anodizing or somesuch... the result is that it is technically insulated.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
wait.... so if i touch one side of a severed wire with current flowing or touch one side of that wire with my left hand and the other with my right... will i get electrocuted?

Also: If i don't get electrocuted because the flashlight isn't grounded, shouldn't i get a shock if i touch the flashlight while it's touching another metal object / the ground?

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
well i've gotten shocked from touching an open wire connected to a 9.6V battery before. It hurt about three times as much as a static shock.

defusion

Enlightened
ever held a battery at both ends? did you notice anything?

there's your answer.

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.

As I understand it, Thomas Edison, supporter of DC current, electrocuted an elephant with AC current to demonstrate how dangerous it was. The elephant was killed.

bexteck

Enlightened
Its all about completing the circuit path. With a 6V flashlight, the case of the light will only be connected to one end of the batteries (usually negative). Unless you also make contact with the other end of the batteries then you will not recieve a shock. In this case, touching the ground (earth) will not do anything because the batteries in the flashlight are not referenced or connected to it in any way.

Power lines and your house current are referenced and connected to the ground (earth) so contact with it and a live wire completes the circuit and can kill you.

There is a range of current through the heart that will cause it to fibrillate. This is usually the cause of death in electrocutions. Above and below this range, the heart will not usually fibrillate, but other damage can occur (severe burns, trauma, etc.)

Martini

Enlightened
As I understand it, Thomas Edison, supporter of DC current, electrocuted an elephant with AC current to demonstrate how dangerous it was. The elephant was killed.
This is true. Edison made sort of a traveling circus of animal electrocutions in order to discourage the adoption of AC. Interestingly, these were the inspiration for the first electric chair.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I think i just need to finish my sophomore year physics class which involves electricity and magnetism :shakehead

knot

Banned
well i've gotten shocked from touching an open wire connected to a 9.6V battery before. It hurt about three times as much as a static shock.

That's funny because I can touch both posts of an automotive battery and not feel a thing. Don't ask me to lick one though.

An AA battery can give you a shock using the right transformer. Disposable camera shocker: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=25&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

How to make: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=25&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for someone to get back to us about what licking both terminals of a car battery (at the same time) is like.