Whats the brightest drop-in >LED< for a MAG 4D?

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Whats the brightest drop-in LED for a MAG 4D?

I recently purchased a
TERRALUX 3 WATT MAGLITE LUXEON LED UPGRADE BULB MODEL TLE-DB3. But I have a 4 cell Mag and I don't want to mess around with dummy battery inserts. Absolute brightness followed by regulation is what I'm chasing in that order. Any other features are a bonus. Any help would be great.

Regards

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HELP -- Whats the brightest drop-in LED for a MAG 4D?

Since Malkoff Devices doesn't ship outside of the US, I'd say your best bet would be the TerraLUX TLE-6EX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites

You can get it at Battery Junction here in the US:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Cutter Electronics in Australia has the older K2 version:
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut693

But you might want to contact cutter since you're in Australia and see if they can get the newer SSCP4 version of the TLE-6EX

barkingmad

Enlightened

Since Malkoff Devices doesn't ship outside of the US, I'd say your best bet would be the TerraLUX TLE-6EX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites

You can get it at Battery Junction here in the US:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Cutter Electronics in Australia has the older K2 version:
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut693

But you might want to contact cutter since you're in Australia and see if they can get the newer SSCP4 version of the TLE-6EX

Are you sure - all I could find was 'Malkoffdevices.com does not ship to PO Box addresses'??

Argon

Newly Enlightened

Get This and then look at the sticky's Here and there is also this to get it shipped to you. :twothumbs

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened

Is that it? One of the best known brands in the flashlight market and thats it? What if I was prepared to do a simple do-it-yourself mod? Would that change things some what? Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I have seen a 3 Cree or Seoul upgrade on a German website but I don't remember what site it was. To us the lack of Mag drop-ins might be surprising but remember that most people still think that the Maglite is a top of the line flashlight. The Malkoffdevices is the brightest single LED drop-in for the Maglite.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried a newer TERRALUX module a few months ago and it was the same IMO as the 3W that came with Mag. Not sure if it had a drop in brightness as things heated up.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

The aboslute best you can probably get is the Malkoff drop-in, but actually getting one may be an ordeal (they sell out fast, and international shipping is a problem). That is a custom copper heatsink that performs very well, 1A drive, and uses very high quality parts, and good packaging. Short of that, the next best thing is the do-it-yourself route:

Is that it? One of the best known brands in the flashlight market and thats it? What if I was prepared to do a simple do-it-yourself mod? Would that change things some what? Thanks
here
is a recent thread about doing just this, it has links to where to buy the necessary parts.

I would recommend buying the Seoul Emitter ($7), and 800mA buck drivers (3.6-9v input, 4 for $7) from Dealextreme.com. Heat sink modules can be purchased from Litemania on the board ($12 + shipping), and for an optional extra boost in throw, you can buy a UCL from flashlightlens.com ($5.50 + shipping).

total cost to do the mod yourself will be almost the same as buying one of the drop-ins bulbs, and you will end up with a much better product. The fact that you have a heatsink means that the LED will be able to tolerate a much harder drive current, and it will have better longevity. You also won't be stuck with the dilemma of choosing between an LED that dims itself (like the MagLED, to keep from overheating) or cooks itself (like the Terralux, which has no temperature sense at all...)

If retaining the bulb socket, and the ability to switch to an incan or different LED is critical, I'd recommend upgrading a MagLED to a Seoul Emitter, as it's still the only drop-in with thermal protection.

Last edited:

Argon

Newly Enlightened

or you could do what i did and get yourself a m@g85 which at 1200+ bulb lumens will eat any led out there. There are more powerful hotwires out there.

We should really organize a cpf meet in Brisbane now considering it's the middle of winter and there is plenty of darkness out.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

or you could do what i did and get yourself a m@g85 which at 1200+ bulb lumens will eat any led out there. There are more powerful hotwires out there.

We should really organize a cpf meet in Brisbane now considering it's the middle of winter and there is plenty of darkness out.
True, for absolute brightness, Hotwires are the way to go. The main goal of mine in doing the LED mods for the Mag is to get very long runtimes. Due to the fact that LEDs show diminishing returns (that is, double the power produces far less than double the brightness, and due to the eye's compensation, even less in terms of percieved brightness) I have optimized my custom MagLED builds so that I would have some high-efficiency/long runtime flashlights around that put out a healthy amount of light.

The next reason to pick LEDs would be for small size (not an issue for a mag), efficiency matters a lot more when battery capacity is very limited. for max lumens hotwires are the way to go, especially if <1 hour runtimes are tolerable.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened

Sorry guys... I should have stated earlier.

I would really like it to be a CREE or SSC drop-in LED Module.

So far the MagLED SSC upgrade sounds like the best idea yet. (thanks 2xTrinity) My girlfriend and I both have a MAG in the car for emergency lighting (cough cough-protection) situations. So it would be nice if the price for both was under A$100.00.

Thanks everyone for your help on this but I need more options (maybe thats it though huh?)...

Cydonia

Enlightened

Is that it? One of the best known brands in the flashlight market and thats it?

Pathetic isn't it? Must be a conspiracy of some sort :tinfoil:

I also upgraded a MagLED to an SSC P4 in this thread... it was a PITA to do but very worth it for those of you considering it... The pure white color of the SSC P4 plus near double brightness compared to the sickly greenish stock MagLED tint convinces me it is a great mod.