FDA Recalls Toxic Toothpaste in Four U.S. States

orionlion82

Enlightened
China is doing itself a great deal of harm and creating lots of ill will with these sorts of problems, expecially with the fox news crowd.

the contaminant is basically antifreeze.

Empath

Flashaholic
I guess I'm unable to find a reference there to a FDA recall. There is the warning from Colgate, but it's even insufficient.

The obligation from Colgate, since they know the stores that are selling the counterfeits, is to notify the public of WHO. Just saying some discount stores have poisonous counterfeit products isn't sufficient. Even if they are concerned about lawsuits from the retailers, that's nothing like lawsuits, particularly class action, from those with ruined health or the relatives of dead consumers.

axolotls

Enlightened
I guess I'm unable to find a reference there to a FDA recall. There is the warning from Colgate, but it's even insufficient.

The obligation from Colgate, since they know the stores that are selling the counterfeits, is to notify the public of WHO. Just saying some discount stores have poisonous counterfeit products isn't sufficient. Even if they are concerned about lawsuits from the retailers, that's nothing like lawsuits, particularly class action, from those with ruined health or the relatives of dead consumers.

Why the heck are people buying toothpaste from a Dollar Store?It's a semi-rhetorical question. Leave it be and ponder.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
China is doing itself a great deal of harm and creating lots of ill will with these sorts of problems, expecially with the fox news crowd.

So, "the fox news crowd" has "ill will" about antifreeze in tootpaste, but people who get the news from other sources will have no problem with toxic toothpaste?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The title of this thread was copied from the title of a news story.

At the time it was posted, the URL in the first post pointed to a story with that title and content. Now, the same URL points to a different, but related story.

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but I've always avoided anything made in China that has an unknown brand, especially food. If you keep up with Asian media, there are news reports every day of people injecting watermelons with toxic red dye, using sewer water, bleached bloody hospital linens for teddy bear stuffing, etc.

This toothpaste thing shouldn't surprise anyone. I always thought it was common sense not to buy hygiene products at a dollar store?

orionlion82

Enlightened
So, "the fox news crowd" has "ill will" about antifreeze in tootpaste, but people who get the news from other sources will have no problem with toxic toothpaste?

hmm, im not sure thats what i was saying.
but to clarify:

different media companies report different things in different ways.
each has an audience of their own and who are more interested in some themes and angles on news than members of other audiences might be.
thats pretty much as far is i intended that one to go.

for example:
have you ever looked at how much the BBC covers cricket? they have the audience. we dont get cricket coverage in mainstream US news, because there isnt much demand. you cant well do news about rodeo in singapore i imagine either because no one is gonna care.

with the ill will thing, it was more a comment about china looking bad from exporting unfit products. no one in the world is going to think highly of that, and its sad, because it is a deal where everybody looses.

Empath

Flashaholic
The title of this thread was copied from the title of a news story.

At the time it was posted, the URL in the first post pointed to a story with that title and content. Now, the same URL points to a different, but related story.

I'd say you were right, since a Google search of the news indicates such a headline, including this one. That's all it is too, just a headline. It looks like the story was pulled after it's release, when they found out they had it all wrong. It's not surprising, considering it was Fox's reporting.

A recheck of the URL shows that this report is being changed too. It's be interesting to see what their original article said.

orionlion82

Enlightened
and i have to say that i buy a good deal of stuff from the dollar stores in town.

some of it is junk, and some of it is a steal. it is a real lesson in getting what you pay for.

and the last time i checked, they arent soverigen territories in our strip malls, they still have to conform to all the health and saftey regulations anyone else does. there should be no reason to believe otherwise.
here in america, i should damn well be able to buy my toothpaste at *any* price on the market and expect it to be safe. its not just wishfull thinking, its the law.

granted, there are some sketchy products to be had if you want to pay for them.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't touch anything from a dollar type store...

What's with the Fox News bashing in this thread...just curious...would the story have been diffierent if reported in the same manner on CNN?

Both sides have an equal amount of bias...

--dan

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recall/alert is currently being broadcast all of the major networks. Sounds like the same stuff as the Chinese tainted toothpaste, except that it is in counterfeit Colgate packaging and the country of origin printed as South Africa in pidgin English. I'd be inclined to guess that it's probably the same Chinese counterfeit where they tried to throw off the Customs by using a different country on the packaging as source of origin, as it obviously got into the country.

Don't know what's with the Fox News bashing either, I would have thought it would have been one of the more favored news networks around these parts. But I agree with you, they're just as likely to misreport news as any of the other networks ;)

Wouldn't touch anything from a dollar type store...

What's with the Fox News bashing in this thread...just curious...would the story have been diffierent if reported in the same manner on CNN?

Both sides have an equal amount of bias...

--dan

bitslammer

Enlightened
I usually see Fox news bashing with many from the far left. They can't stand it when the news doesn't agree with their far left ideology.

Fake Colgate toothpaste recalled in 4 states

News should not "agree" or disagree with any ideology. It should merely be reported fact. The days of real news died long ago. Fox, CNN, MSNBC and the broadcast channels are now in the business of entertainment. They spew the crap they do for ratings.

Empath

Flashaholic
What's with this agree or disagree with ideology junk? The news story isn't and wasn't about ideologies. The original news article was erroneous in saying the FDA recalled a product, and then later substituted a different story at the same URLs. That was done by a couple of FOX sites. It was either sloppy news reporting or it wasn't. If that degree of credibility is satisfactory with you, then enjoy.

The FDA might want to recall the product through Colgate, but if it's a counterfeit it's not Colgate. MS USA Trading Inc. of North Bergen, N.J is the one recalling the toothpaste because they're the importers of the product. While it may be by now, or soon may be an official FDA recall, it wasn't when the story broke. The last I heard is that the FDA has warned consumers, validated the DEG in the product, and acknowledged that counterfeiting the product is a problem area.