Is there something wrong with my core?

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I just got my core like an hour ago, my first green laser too. Man, it's sooo cool.:grin2: I would seriously say that everyone should get one...

Just one thing I noticed is that after a second of it running, a halo on one side of the dot appears for about two seconds, then it fades away and it is fine. Why is this? Does anybody know? Could it be the green led that is covered up?
Here is a pic to show you what I mean:
Picture10.jpg

And I have to say it again, this thing is soooooo cool, :caution::nana::caution::) Its not even funny:shakehead:shakehead...
Thanks Again
Jonno

Corona

Enlightened
It's probably mode shifting, due to thermal effects. There's a secondary beam scattering off the aperture cap, probably. As it warms up the mode shifts in and out of TEM00 (single round dot) mode.

There's been discussions about this in the past, search "mode shifting" or "TEM00"

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
ok
Is that why it's only in the beginning?
Thanks, so its not a problem...
Jonno

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Core, and it has thus far performed flawlessly.
The only thing I don't care for is the lack of a pocket clip.
Mine stays at TEM00, and does not mode hop at all.

picrthis

Enlightened
Hi
I just got my core like an hour ago, my first green laser too. Man, it's sooo cool.:grin2: I would seriously say that everyone should get one...

Just one thing I noticed is that after a second of it running, a halo on one side of the dot appears for about two seconds, then it fades away and it is fine. Why is this? Does anybody know? Could it be the green led that is covered up?
Here is a pic to show you what I mean:

And I have to say it again, this thing is soooooo cool, :caution::nana::caution::) Its not even funny:shakehead:shakehead...
Thanks Again
Jonno
How can you seriously recommend it when you already have a problem with it? :thinking: That is NOT normal......I'd seriously recommend you RETURN it and get a high quality LeadLight for example.

chuck

Newly Enlightened
Maybe he meant that everyone should get a green LASER? I went back and looked at his post...you're right, it could be read several ways.

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. I happen to agree with him...greens are VERY cool.

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
How can you seriously recommend it when you already have a problem with it? :thinking: That is NOT normal......I'd seriously recommend you RETURN it and get a high quality LeadLight for example.
I really don't see it as a problem, it't only there for a sec and then gone.
I don't know about a leadlight, but I would say that these are VERY well made. No shakes and rattles. It feels very solid in my hand.

I don't think it is enough of a problem to return it though.

Jonno

And yes, greens are amazingly cool. I still can't get over the fact that I own one.

Corona

Enlightened
It is an indication that the laser diode mode hops, and that is not a good sign.

I've seen this effect also and have had it get progressively worse over time, to the point where I now have a greenie with 2 (weaker) output beams, all the time.

For a <$50 pointer, I'd probably accept it and chalk it up to the cost of low cost. For a high-power unit, I'd bounce it back to the seller as defective.

If the seller states "TEMoo mode" along with divergence specs, etc. then it's a no-brainer; it's multimode and not TEMoo, and doesn't meet the divergence spec either with that scatter-beam. Even if it's only for a second...

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
It's actually stopped doing that, don't know why, it just hasn't done it at all today.
What kind of duty cycle should I be using this thing at?
After how long of it running can it be damaged?

Thanks
Jonno

picrthis

Enlightened
Maybe he meant that everyone should get a green LASER? I went back and looked at his post...you're right, it could be read several ways.

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. I happen to agree with him...greens are VERY cool.
Your correct, I own numerous Green Lasers and they are really cool; but the problem he posted about his laser hardly warrants a recommendation. It's his money though and if he doesn't mind it dying prematurely, that's his call; I'd return it myself, rather than risk my $$$.

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
It's doing it again. It seems do it if I don't use it for a while.
Do you think it's aproblem? Should I return it?
Compared to my DX 10mW, it's irritating, I thought that the Core would be better than the DX, but so far, the DX is killing the core in performance.
Any Ideas??
Thanks
Jonno

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
Mode hopping = bad. Return/exchange is my recommendation.

Good luck;
DDL

Latest posts