What to buy?

ahab

Newly Enlightened
Hi.. :wave: been lurking around for a while now and regard all of the members here to be really helpful.. so I hope someone could give me some advice to somebody who doesn't know a whole deal about lights.

Not long ago bought a E1L has proved very useful for camping and sort of general around the home type use, and was really impressed after putting it through some rigorous use.. however especially for camping I am increasingly wanting/would like (I fear this is the beginnings of a flash light problem :shrug:) like something that will pack more punch that will provide that extra amount of light when needed, aswell as being something to have for when things go bump in the night.

So, I think have narrowed it down to the SF L4 and U2. Does anyone have any advice on these and whether it is a good time to purchase either, (i always find myself buying something less then a week of it being updated :rolleyes:) or have any other suggestions I'd very much appreciate it.. Thanks!

Last edited:

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
Add the A2 onto that list of possibilities. I don't have the money to spend on one myself but I'm sure there are others (you know who you are) that will offer the same suggestion.

Oh, and try to use the edit button when you want to make changes. You don't want to clutter up threads with things that could easily go into one post.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For a everyday use light, I would recommend the Fenix L2D-CE(Review, about 122 Lumen on turbo). It has many useful modes. You can buy a few for the price of one Surefire L2 or U2. Or a Amilite T5(review) instead of the Surefire L2. Lumapower M1/MRV/D-mini(M1 review) for throw.

Surefire is about to release new Cree lights(Cree LEDs have twice the efficiency of Luxeon LEDs) so I would wait till next month before a Surefire LED purchase.

Welcome to CPF!

Edit:
You've been waiting for them and they are almost here.

As of today, here is the status:

E1L with Cree - will begin shipping early July
E2L with Cree - will begin shipping early July
L1-WH with Cree - will begin shipping early July
L5 with Cree - on indefinite hold
KL1 with Cree - at this time it will most likely not happen at all (apparently SF is planning to discontinue it)

from this thread

Last edited:

vic2367

Enlightened
throw.

Surefire is about to release new Cree lights(Cree LEDs have twice the efficiency of Luxeon LEDs) so I would wait till next month before a Surefire LED purchase.

Welcome to CPF![/quote]

cant wait,,,

ahab

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcomes :)

I've been mostly eyeing the U2.. is this going to become upgraded with cree too?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello ahab, welcome to CPF.

Since you already have the E1L, the obvious next choice is the SFL4. These two can exchange bodies whereas the tailcaps are the same Z57. You have already a led thrower (E1L), L4 is the opposite. It has the most beautiful flood pattern I have seen. Its basically a wall of light. You can even put the L4 head, the KL4 onto the E1L body and in single cell it works also. You can even put the E1L head, KL1 onto the L4 body and run it with 2 cells you get slightly higher lumens but more runtime than the E1L on single cell with KL1 head.
This combo can also accomodate rechargeable batteries. But do note that KL1 head is a buck/boost circuit so can handle 3-9v. KL4 on the other hand is a boost circuit so max 6v. Get those protected ones which is more safer that the unprotected ones as these do not have the overcharge/overdischarge circuits in the batteries. A good charger is the Ultrafire WF-139. So in essence 2xPR123a can run the KL1/L4 body. Not so the L4. But L4 can be made to use instead of PR123a the P17670 which is rated at 3.7v but having 2x the body of a SF123 primary and it has a longer runtime.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
The U2 won't have the upgrade any time soon. However, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing one. I love mine, Cree or not. Since the new L1 could be available by sometime next month it might be worth the wait! Or you could get the U2 now and the new L1 next month!! :twothumbs

Welcome to CPF....

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
You mentioned camping and general utility use. I have an L4 and it is a great light. What the U2 offers over the L4 is flexibility through the use of the different power levels. I would be inclined to go with the U2 over the L4 for that one reason. Both offer great flood in additon to a decent hot spot. I find myself using the lower levels of the U2 most of the time and with those if you need to move about during the night you will not disturb others. The higher levels are readily available upon demand.