+1

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Does anyone know the origin of the post padding "+1" jargon?

Wikipedia gave insight but I guess I don't belong to enough forums to understand it's history. I do belong to another forum that uses it quite frequently and now I've seen it creeping in more and more here.

Personally, it's not my favorite but I don't text message jargon either.

In case anyone was wondering my opinion on it:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it originates from Totalfarkers voting a link up or down to get it to the Fark.com main page. I think.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 here in Singapore means +1 to the poster's vote count; kinda like "I was here". Usually used to indicate the thread is a waste of time and is expected to be closed, that's why posters add to their count before that happens.

In local forums, you will see "+1 before closed, +1 before banned, pruss wan" etc...

Don't think that is what it means internationally though :D

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
+1 here in Singapore means +1 to the poster's vote count; kinda like "I was here". Usually used to indicate the thread is a waste of time and is expected to be closed, that's why posters add to their count before that happens.

In local forums, you will see "+1 before closed, +1 before banned, pruss wan" etc...

Don't think that is what it means internationally though :D

Now that makes sense using it as a vote tag to affect a thread. I just have never experienced a forum that uses it in that way. My objection to it's use is as a singularity where nothing is added accept an unnecessary annoying bump for an "I agree" (like I care). It's like voting in a thread where no vote was necessary or requested.

It's funny in this thread though. Nevertheless, I wish it'd go bye bye.

ledlurker

Enlightened
and here I thought that all of this +1 jargon meant that you were all a bunch of D&D geeks.

or from the movie "History of the World: Part 1"
"Knight jump Queen"
"Bishop jump Queen"

+1 I am all over that