I just got a BOG Premium Cree Drop In

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my mini review. It says BugOutGear 3W Cree on it. It does not say Premium. It is a hefty unit, all aluminium and brass. The bottom of the module has what appears to be naked circuits surrounding the solder blob that makes contact with the battery. But they are low profile and should not come into contact with the battery in the event of a bezel down impact. There is no spring on the module. When I first tried installing it in my 6P it would not fit. It took some gentle yet firm twisting to get it to mate into the battery tube. Removing it also requires a considerable amount of force and finesse. This thing fits like a glove. There is no bezel gap. Very nice. Upon 1st activation it would not work. I had to tap the bezel. After several removals and installs I seem to have a good solid circuit. The momentary switch and the lock out function are not effected in any way.

Now the good stuff. Man this suckers is bright! It easily competes with my 9P w/P90. The hotstpot is an intense white. The tint is comparable with my HDS B42 XRGT. There is plenty of sidespill. The reflector does a good job of deliverying a smooth artifact free cone of light. Of course it is daylight and I'm doing a white hallway test. I put a half depleted pair of cells and the intensity apprears unchanged as eyeballed against a new pair of cells.

I can't wait for darkness! Now if I get 90+ minutes of regulated runtime I will be a very happy camper. A 6P with 9P performace and more/regulated runtime. WOW!!! And I can reverse it out in the field if I fry the emitter (provided I have a SC1 with me)!

kelmo

Last edited:

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Premium Plus Cree module for my 6P yesterday. I had no trouble at all installing it-mine just dropped right in,and worked right from the start. I will be getting them for all my other SFs now-I'm quite impressed with the light from these.

Enlightened
I just got the Premium Plus Cree module for my 6P yesterday. I had no trouble at all installing it-mine just dropped right in,and worked right from the start. I will be getting them for all my other SFs now-I'm quite impressed with the light from these.

Good to hear someone finally has the Plus model. How's the brightness and beam? Anything to compare it to?

o0o

Enlightened
Just got mine too. Works well, and has excellent output in my C2 and C3. Man, do I LOVE these Crees.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

When I ordered they did not have the premium plus modules in stock. If only I had waited another 6 hours! Do the premium plus units say Cree 3 Watt? Anybody have a chance to play with theres at night?

My neglected 6P is now my favorite. Or more like flavor of the month.

Cheers

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I emailed Flavio about the fit issue. He told me to remove the wire ring on the module. It fits perfectly now. Now I wish I hadn't wedged the module into the light as I scratched the inside of the battery tube. I know I'm being anal. Its dark now and this sucker is bright. As stated earlier with half drained batteries it is an equal match for my stock 9P. Although it still has that outdoor color rendition degradation typical of LEDs. The deep reflector is a good medium range thrower.

I will keep my 9P stock though. Sometimes you need a good incan.

kelmo

o0o

Enlightened
Cool!

When I ordered they did not have the premium plus modules in stock. If only I had waited another 6 hours! Do the premium plus units say Cree 3 Watt? Anybody have a chance to play with theres at night?

My neglected 6P is now my favorite. Or more like flavor of the month.

Cheers

I have the Premiums (NOT Premium Plus), but I just did order the Premium-Plus too.

Anyway, my Premium is hitting long range for me when pitch dark. To me, long range is over 200 feet (the trees I'm hitting I'm estimating to be over 300 feet). When not pitch dark (e.g. when ambient light is around outside), I'm hitting medium range.

Regardless, I love them. My C2 and C3 have been converted from the old Lux III drop-ins to the new Cree drop-ins.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any idea what the current draw is? I'm also wondering if the Cree could be replace with a Seoul...

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Can someone post some beamshots? Ive got a premium plus in the mail Im eagerly waiting for:twothumbs

WTH

Newly Enlightened
I have the Premiums (NOT Premium Plus), but I just did order the Premium-Plus too.

I have the premium and not the premium plus, as well. When you have both side-by-side, can you please let us know how they compare? I'm very happy with my premium drop-in I'm curious how much brighter the plus is.

Thanks!

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
SWEET. I have been waiting for a thread about the BOG drop ins.

I want to buy the premium plus version, and put it in a G3. I think that would be one of the most shock resistant flashlights ever.

I have a question... What would be the difference between putting the Premium PLUS version in a G2 verses a G3?

Would you get more output? or more runtime? or both?

I am confused.

Thanks

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
SS,

I'll do the eyeball test with my 9P when it gets dark. You should get one regardless of what we say. My premium unit is very bright and white. oOo's description of the throw distance is spot on. I just don't know how long the unit will stay in regulation.

kelmo

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my two Premium Plus Cree modules today. Unfortunately, they shipped them in the same bag, and the base of one module scratched up the reflector of another. :( I'll have to email them about returning the damaged one, and also tell them that they ought to wrap the modules separately from now on to avoid damage in shipment.

Anyway, they are both very bright. They are the only single-LED lights that I've seen that put out more total light than my Surefire L5. One is quite bluish, but the other is nearly equivalent to a Luxeon WO tint. I have one installed in a Brinkmann Maxfire LX now, which was what I used when I had one of the original BOG Luxeon modules. But I think I'll be getting a Pelican M6 for the improved heat dissipation.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I eyeball tested the module with a 6P and a 9P. I did not see a noticable difference.

My 6P is reborn. It is now my grab-n-go light.

Last edited:

WTH

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the 6P versus G2? Plastic versus metal? Is it that big a deal, really? I feel a lot of people have a 6P, but for almost 2X in price, I don't get it. My G2 seems extremely solid.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic...I love the drop-in for my G2 and I'm thinking about getting another Surefire to put in another of these BOG cree drop-ins. My debate is between another G2 or something else.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTH,

Since you already have a G2 I would recommend something else. My premium module gets noticably warm, not hot, after about 5 minutes. Heat may be an issue. I've always been a fan of the 9P. Then you can always get a turbohead for it in the future. You can do alot with the P series lights. The Centurian series are also very nice. It all depends on your budget. I just prefer the feel of aluminium flashlights.

kelmo

Last edited:

WTH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input! I thought about this for a while and decided I'd rather wait to see the new cree Surefires. The L1 sounds pretty great so I may wait and buy that one.

WTH,

Since you already have a G2 I would recommend something else. My premium module gets noticably warm, not hot, after about 5 minutes. Heat may be an issue. I've always been a fan of the 9P. Then you can always get a turbohead for it in the future. You can do alot with the P series lights. The Centurian series are also very nice. It all depends on your budget. I just prefer the feel of aluminium flashlights.

kelmo

UWAK

Enlightened
Sorry fo the off topics. I heve an old SF KL3 and have a plan to mod it with SSC P4 Ubin. But with this cree drop-in coming, do you guys feel any need to do that modifications? Cheers!

Frids