Fenix P2D: Color me impressed

o0o

Enlightened
I bought my first Fenix, a P2D, and am astonished at what a nice light this is.

After lots of quality and reliability problems with other lights imported from China (elektro-Lumens for example), I was amazed to see the apparent quality of the Fenix. It looks well made both externally and internally.

Then, I started experimenting with the modes, and it is a cinch to use. Much better user interface than the Arc 4+ in my opinion.

Size: Roughly the size of an Arc 4+, but when compared next to each other the Fenix head looks a tad thinner.

Output: Amazing. On low, its PLENTY to get around a house in a power outage. Medium is plenty for short range outdoor use. High can almost reach out to what I call medium range outdoor use. "Turbo" successfully works to medium range outdoor use for my needs.

SOS / Strobe: So easy to access, but I've never had the need to use modes like this. At least I know they are available and easy to access.

Now, on to the questions for those of you that have Fenix lights for a while.

How reliable are they? Will it hold up over time?

What about turbo mode, will it kill the LED if I use it for more than a few seconds at a time? Seems to be a lot of lumens for such a small light. Is the heatsink sufficient to protect the LED?

The size to power ratio is very impressive, and with the user interface being so easy to master I can see myself using strobe more often.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we're talking about the P2D: what's the difference between it and the P1D-CE other than the different switch/control mode?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P1D-CE is one of the first Cree lights. It is a twistie and has 5 modes. The P2D-CE is a clickie with 6 modes and 2 main modes, general(loosened bezel), and turbo (tightened bezel). The P2D-CE shares the same head as the L1/2D-CE. The P1D-CE has a special head.

o0o: Isn't Elektrolumens a US company that makes lights and has his own subforum in the CPF marketplace?

Good review,

o0o

Enlightened
The P1D-CE is one of the first Cree lights. It is a twistie and has 5 modes. The P2D-CE is a clickie with 6 modes and 2 main modes, general(loosened bezel), and turbo (tightened bezel). The P2D-CE shares the same head as the L1/2D-CE. The P1D-CE has a special head.

o0o: Isn't Elektrolumens a US company that makes lights and has his own subforum in the CPF marketplace?

Good review,

Don't know about now, but early models I thought were imported from China (FT-3C, TS Phazer)?

Perhaps it's changed since I was a customer.

Back to the Fenix, I like my P2D so much that I am going to order the P3D for longer runtime. I'll use the P2D for deep EDC. The P3D looks like a nice around-the-house piece.

Last edited:

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
In turbo mode, the P2D runs at the same power level as the L2D. I use the L2D in turbo mode as a headlight on my bike so extended use should not be a problem.

o0o

Enlightened
In turbo mode, the P2D runs at the same power level as the L2D. I use the L2D in turbo mode as a headlight on my bike so extended use should not be a problem.

That is very cool. On Turbo, my L2D puts out nearly as much light as my Surefire L2 on high. Very very intense beam, and certainly amazing for the size. This is my first Cree (other than the Bug Out drop-ins that I just got). I use to think that the Lux III and V were special, but the Cree seems to knock them out of the water.

Wonder how long before something even better than the Cree comes along?

Mike V

Enlightened
The thing I really like about this light is the two modes I want to use, which are low and turbo, are very easy to access.

I want a AAA light exactly like the P2D i.e. with a clickie on/off and the twisty mode select.

o0o

Enlightened
^Agreed.

And for me, the ease of operation is a huge. No double or triple-clicking to switch between levels. No menus to have to get to.

Just select the mode (twisting the head), and then lightly single-tap.

For EDC, I like simplicity. I don't like having to learn menus and exotic click selections.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as long as you are holding the light or cooling it in some way turbo is fine. When using it in candle mode you will notice any light will heat up quite a bit more. I really like my P3D I think the extra size makes it easier to hold. And the extended runtimes along with all modes working correctly with RCR123's is also nice.

Last edited:

o0o

Enlightened
I am bummed about the lack of reverse polarity protection. It seems silly not to have it in a modern product.

I guess I won't be changing batteries when half awake, or in low light settings.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am bummed about the lack of reverse polarity protection. It seems silly not to have it in a modern product.

I guess I won't be changing batteries when half awake, or in low light settings.
Yes that would be nice. You could make it protected by using a pad with a cut out in the middle for the + side post(anode). I believe I read people using Dr Shoals(sp) corn pads.

o0o

Enlightened
I'm even more impressed by the output.

My previous outdoor test was under ambient light conditions, which made the power faded--and the results were limited to medium range.

My new test, I took it out under near pitch dark conditions and all I can say if flippin' WOW!!!

High mode was able to light up tall trees at least 300 feet away, I don't know exact range since I don't own a rangefinder. This, for my needs puts this well into the long range category. When turbo is on, its like a whole wall of light is bringing daylight to these trees.

Its like having a 6D Maglite that fits into the palm of the hand, but lights up more area in the trees (I guess the beam is less narrow). I bet the runtime must be an issue on both "High" and "Turbo" settings, because it defies logic (to me) that a single cell LED could throw out this much light and still have good runtime.

I also tried my new Surefire Cree Premium drop-in in my C3, and it also hit these trees. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have never known about the Cree (previously I was only a Lux user). I love these LEDs!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went the other way with my old 5D mag--I put in the little old LED bulb so that I would have ~120-160 hours of runtime for those long emergencies...

However, the P3D-CE on low @ 65 hours for two CR123 batteries is MUCH brighter and is missing the Mag "rings" in the beam.

Even my "simple mod" Mag can't keep up with these little guys.

-Bill

stockae92

Enlightened

Good review,

so which head is better? P1D CE or P2D? (since they both run on single CR123A) and which one works better with RCR123?

Learjet

Enlightened
The P1D head has a special UI designed for twisty mode changing where the P2D head is designed for a clicky.

Dunno about the P1D but the P2D loses modes on RCR123 until the voltage of the cell drops.

Hope I got that right.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They both loose modes when used with a RCR123 battery. The extra voltage of the battery makes the regulator go into direct drive until the battery voltage gets low enough. IMO the P2D-CE head is better because it is compatible with the battery tubes of the L1D-CE and L2D-CE. The P3D-C body tube will also work, giving you much more light but that is significantly overdriving the LED.

Latest posts