Fenix L2D CE b battery rattle problem

katx

Newly Enlightened
Friends: I finally bite the bullet and hinted to my kids that they can buy this light fore mr for father's day. It arrived today. The light is extremely bright and extremely white.

There is a diffuse relatively back ring halfway between the center of the beam and the edge of the beam but I am willing to live with that.

However, the batteries rattle somewhat moderately. They do not rattle axially but laterally. I emailed them and they said I should return the light. I was hoping that they would tell me that a bit of rattle is expected or give instructions on how to fix the rattle.

What do you guys say? What are you experieicnes? Anyone else with the same problem? Do you think the problem is serious enough to return the light and risk getting another light that might not rattle but with some other problem such not so white a light?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L2DCE and mine also rattles a bit side to side. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's so bad the light is cutting out. I seem to remember someone lining the tube with paper to take care of it. By the way not all batteries are exactly the same diameter, especially rechargeables.

Last edited:

katx

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for good suggestions, err, suggestion. :)

When I bought 4 4LED Propolymer Streamlights, I had the same problem with every one of them and that is exactly how I solved the problem: post it notes. For some reason, I thought a more expensive Fenix would not have the same problem and I wanted to make sure there are others with the same problem before I accept the slight defect and solve the problem with a post-it note myself.

BTW: I am a late-commer to this addiction. Even though as a child I was very fond of flashlights but never got any because batteries were considered waste of money and expensive, It was only at age 50+ and after I stumbled upon this site that I got my first Luxeon flashlight (I think the Sam's Element). And I still cannot being myself to buy any flashlight that does not use rechargeable AA or AAA batteries.

BTW: I chose 4LED PP after I read about it on this list. It is truly a perfect flashlight. And yes, the Fenix is considerably brighter than the PP.

Again, thanks for the help.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try cutting out a 3 7/8" x 2 1/8" piece of paper, roll it lengthwise, and then insert the paper into the battery tube. That should be about right to make a rattle free fit for the batteries.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Same problem here, mini maglites dont have batterie rattle using nimh or normal cells. I think the guys at fenix dont know how to properly measure the diameter of a cell.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer it to be bigger. I had some flashlights that were so tight the higher capacity nimh would get stuck or not fit at all. Broke one to get the battery out.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. CPFers complain when battery tubes are too tight and some batteries won't fit. Then they complain that when they use smaller batteries and there is a rattle. :shrug:

Are you guys in a tactical situation where you're trying to sneak up on a sentry? Is that why you can't handle a very slight rattle? :crackup: