Son in hospital, not serious-overall

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My 11 year old broke his arm trying to swing from our outhouse porch. both bones, ulnar and radius (?) broken may have pins for a couple weeks. He is am very active guy having his left, non-dominant, arm restained will be hard on him. Thanks for prayers.

Forgive hospital computer and stange browser--more details as available
Thanks, Herb

B@rt

Flashaholic
Please tell him to
getwellsoon9du3.gif
;)

Glad it turned out not too serious. :)

bitslammer

Enlightened
Ah to be 11 again. I'm sure he'll plow through. The real downer will probably be no swimming for a while. At the least he can show off his cast & pins to his friends. Seems funny now how cool we always thought it was when one of us got stitches or a cast. It was a miracle that I avoided the ER as a kid.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
School is just about out, so I guess none of his school chums will be signing that cast. :shakehead
I remember when I was a small child, I had a cast on my leg but it happened during summer vacation, so very few people signed it. :(
At least he can still wield a flashlight though. ;)

nethiker

Enlightened
... our outhouse porch.

My image is that you have a very fancy outhouse. I've never used one with a porch. Perhaps it's not how I'm thinking.

Glad to hear it's not too serious. My young boys are starting to climb and explore risk and excitement. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable trips to the ER. Your family is in my prayers, especially of thanksgiving, as there are much worse bones to break.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Yeah, I never seen an outhouse with a porch, either!

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery for your son.

daloosh

bitslammer

Enlightened
Hey Wit,

Here's a great article that's very timely. The basic premise is that a few bumps & bruises while young helps develop better risk taking skills later on. The basic premise is that if kids sit in front of the TV/PS3/Xbox all the time they don't develop the ability to steer clear from bigger risks when they're older.

Obviously the idea isn't that broken are are a good thing but as usual there's a silver lining to the situation.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1918842.ece

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a great article that's very timely.
We had a summarised/edited version of that in our own paper recently. Good sentiments.

The comment from the NZer is funny. It comes on the heals of an ad campaign by a laundry powder maker "dirt is good" and another recent article where one father banned his daughter from getting wheelie shoes and "took away her trampoline" as well when he heard they could be potentially dangerous. :shakehead

My neighbour had her young grand daughter over from the UK recently. The poor girl almost didn't know the outdoors existed. That was sad.

A certain amount of risk at a young age is good. It really does help teach them how far they can go. (Of course, it needs to be tempered with responsibility, especially when they get behind a steering wheel later on.)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
oweee!

kids heal real good, you can bash em break em mash em they come right back better than new..

ever see that show "Scarred" ? At first I thought it was good to show what really happens when you put little wheels under your feet -- now that these guys are seen breaking everything and then healing and having fun telling the stories, I dunno... :shakehead:

"outhouse" note: 'outhouse' is used to refer to any smaller building other than the 'main house' where people live. An outhouse can be a toolshed, a greenhouse, or, yeah, a crappper. In Wit's case I suspect one of the the former examples.
or, maybe his family just likes to do everything together..? ;)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My image is that you have a very fancy outhouse. I've never used one with a porch. Perhaps it's not how I'm thinking......
Just an 8x8 platform with a 4x8 'house' and a 4x8 porch. Not fancy but not as primitive as what we've had before :p

He is doing well, some pain. Not handling Tylenol 3 (w/ codeine) well. sort of groggy/dopey. His spirits are pretty low. We're hoping he'll be better in a few days.
Great Doctor! A real person, visited and talked.
Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers, please continue :)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
...so it is a, ahem, bathroom with a porch? cool.

coulda been worse he could have fallen into, instead of off of.. ;)

groggy from Tylenol 3? How much is he taking?
Just try backing down the dose a bit -- if pain comes back you can always take more ..instead of swallowing 3 or more at a time, just take one pill every 1/2 hour... see if 1 works, if not, then take another...and so on...geenrally speaking
1 is for mild pain, 2 for moderate pain, 3-4 for severe pain (at the 'severe' point you might try going to something like vicodin)..but people vary greatly in their reactions to drugs..

best wishes.. drLed.