Fenix P3D Cree?

tedjanxt

Enlightened
There's numerous posts on these boards about it, the most recent I believe being here

I did a mini-comparison review on EDCForums here as well...

*edit* I'm *very* interested in your work on rings, as my wife and I were quite poor when we got married (well, still am lol) and our rings are fairly cheezy, yours look very cool and elegant. Do you work with titanium and what prices would I be looking at? (Send in PM please so I don't derail your thread)

Last edited:

ensile

Enlightened
i'm no expert, but it sure does hold the title "pocket rocket", there's plenty of options out there, maybe read some posts from a search, there is endless information on these boards.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my P3D CE. It never leaves my belt loop. It is surprising how many times a day I use it. For most uses, low does the job. But, in turbo
yikes.gif
the thing illuminates my back yard.

dsc04062zf0.jpg

Last edited:

Optik49

Enlightened
Great light, if you want something a little smaller P2 is a great choice I have one in natural and I love it.

o0o

Enlightened
In this review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p3dce.htm

it states that Turbo should not be used for extended periods due to heat build up. The exact phrase is: "NOTE: The instructions state that "turbo" mode should be used sparingly due to heat buildup. Use it for momentary spotting. Use the "high" mode instead when you need a bright light for a long period of time."

This worries me a bit, as it implies that the heatsinking may not be enough to protect the LED on turbo.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is an email i recieved from Fenix themselves:

In fact, we have tested the light's working life of each mode for 180 hours
and it was ok. The LED's efficiency will not be slowed immediately if you
keep using the turbo mode. However, it may be low after using several years.
So, we suggest the users don't use turbo mode of the P3D too long so as not
to lower the efficiency of the LED.

Have a nice weekend!
Christina Wang
FenixLight Limited

big beam

Enlightened
In small lights like these it's not a heatsinking issue.The lights are so small that the heatsink moves the heat to the body but the body is so small(has little mass) that there is no place for the heat to go .this is a problem with all very small lights.I have a surefire L4 and after 15 or 20 mins. It's almost to hot to handle .The L4 has more mass than a lot of what I call mini lights( REX,DEX C-LE and so on)But it to still gets VERY hot.The one mini light that seems to run the coolist is a P3D head with a P2D body and a rcr123 battery.I THINK that's because the driver is much more efficient and generates less heat.The LED still makes the same amount of heat but the combined heat from driver and LED is less.
BTW most of these mini lights use a combined LED and driver( pill)mounted in the heatsink.
DON

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think where the problem sets in is when putting the light down, the hand works as a great heatsink. Plus it would burn your hand before doing damage to the LED. When using my lights in candle mode I use less than full power and check them for heat build up.

big beam

Enlightened
Yeah but,
I don't hold these (mini) lights like I do a mag.I hold them between my fingers and theirs not a lot of contact with the light and my fingers so my hand acting like a heatsink is not that affective.
DON

Mike89

Enlightened
Well I guess I'll just have to see how long my P3D lasts me using Turbo mode, cause that's all I use. It's why I bought the light in the first place (gimme the power baby!). I didn't buy it to use turbo 'sparingly' (and I ain't gonna).

Makes me wonder though just how much higher the cree is going to be able to go. Seems this one is "overclocked" so might be hitting its limit. Hell, I'd like to have a 2 cr123 light that does double the lumens of what the P3D does. Dunno if that's going to happen now.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I didn't buy it to use turbo 'sparingly' (and I ain't gonna)...
It sounds like you might be happier with one of the DX/Kai Cree U2 clone style lights, because they are brighter (4800 lux center vs. 3050 lux for P3D), simpler, cost less than half, and most importantly: they have accessible Cree stars unlike the Fenix light.

If there is any degradation, you can easily swap the Cree out and start fresh.