niteize 3 leds for mini maglite AA

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
thank you, i also bought the iq switch, do you get some flickering? i get some with the IQ switch(like there is a bad contact somewhere) then if i switch back to the orig. tailcap the flickering is gone...:sigh:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I had to return (to REI) my first IQ switch because of bad threads and bad contact. The second one was fine. I think there were some issues with the first IQ switches. They are now redesigned a bit. The red LED is now located in the center (maybe part of the actual switch button), not off to the side.

Geoff

abinok

Newly Enlightened
ive been filling in the areas between and under the LEDs in these dropins with glow powder/ epoxy as of late. Gives it a nice custom touch... and the purpleish color of these leds really makes that powder angry!

frasera

Newly Enlightened
i wouldn't buy one unless it was really cheap. probably the 5dollar one for just the3led head or 7 for both click and head. no more, its just so dim compared to a new light these days. esp when competing 1watters are down to what? 15-20? for a whole new flashlight
course that makes the 20 dollar 1watt niteize upgrade pretty absurd.

and yes nimh are fine.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
hi there,

If i buy a 3 AA led maglite, will i be able to insert the 3 led niteize module or is the one led solded on the maglite?:thinking:

btw does the niteize modules work with the 3AA?

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nite ize 1 watt LED with IQ switch 2AA MagLite flickers. But not a lot and rarely does and goes away with a little shaking.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Hey crislight. You will not be able to use the 3 LED module in the 3AA LED Maglite. Don't think there is any interchangeability.

Geoff

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try it on a 3AA Mag and see if it explodes. Then let us know how bright it was when it does (cruel).

VJJ

Newly Enlightened
I've got mine running in a very old Craftsman flashlight/fluorescent combo powered by 4 AAs. Used alkalines & rechargeables in it for almost a year now & it's still glowing bright, & not getting unusually hot.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The LUX in a M*gled 2 or 3 AA is not easily user serviced. I killed one trying.

The NiteIze 1W isn't bad... but the new Energizer 2AA LUX is better in most ways.

And almost any LED light runs peachy on NimH. Many things will run longer that way.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
NIMH AA's work just fine with the Niteyez 3 Led drop in, in a mini mag. The IQ switch will cost you some light output without any gain in run time. Don't even try the IQ switch with the mini mag OEM incandescent bulb. I mean, well, you can but even on high it just barely glows in the dark. I would recommend the Terra Lux tail cap switch over the IQ switch. Only one mode, and it doesn't have a red flashing LED, but it works without a loss of output. That's my experience. I bought 3 IQ switches when they first came out. One wouldn't work at all, and the other 2, well, about 50% loss of light with the TLE-5 luxeon. Maybe only 30% loss with Niteyez 3 LED.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Hey crislight. You will not be able to use the 3 LED module in the 3AA LED Maglite. Don't think there is any interchangeability.

Geoff
hi!, what a pity :sigh:, i was really looking forward for this config as i already got it on the 2AA and like it a lot as a little flooddish light with lots of runtime.

it's strange because on ebay they are selling the combos for 3AA(i checked and it's the same combo i have for my 2AA):
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-AA-MINI-MAGLI...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited: