Can the Arc LS be taken apart and put back together like new?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Arc LS recently and would like to change the lens. This one has light scratches on it. Was just about to use 2 rubber bands (on each side) to unscrew it open... but thought I'd check here.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the grey kit, after you assembled them, will look like the same with ls if the color also match.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Which version is this?
Old two piece housing? New one piece housing?

Old housing as long as you can unscrew it in the first place without scratching it, it's fine. But it is loc-tited shut and unscrewing it will break apart the loc-tite. If you want it to be exactly the same, apply loc-tite on the bezel threads before you screw it back in and you're good to go.

Hope that helps.

-YC

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a first run version #1587! 2 piece front housing + end cap. Looks like there is loc-tite there as I applied a bit of force but it did not budge... hence the post.

Is loc-tite equivalent to 'araldite'?

If I do apply a bit of force and it still doesn't open, could I heat it up a bit first? Read on some other post I think. How? Candle? Stove (too hot probably).

When it is open, I'll be able to take out everything (that is not soldered together)? ie. lens, optics, electronics with LS?

thanks

yclo

Flashaholic*
There is a retaining nut that holds the collimator to the bezel ring. It goes in this order, bezel -> collimator -> plastic ring -> metal retaining nut.

The plastic ring presses against the edge of the collimator so that the metal doesn't scratch it. There are two holes on the nut so that it can be unscrewed using an appropriate tool. (I used my orange juice)

Unfortunately I have used sealant on the collimator/bezel and potted the circuit, so I can't show you photos. I'm sure there'll be some floating around soon with all these Grey Kits.

The electronics board with LS is glued to the bezel (you'll understand when you see it), and in order to gain access to the collimator you have to detach the two. But it's all there.

-YC

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I found a very inexpensive set of retaining ring pliers (if it's just one tool, why do they call it "pliers"?) that has interchangeable jaws. They cost about $5 in one of those "junk" tool piles at some liquidation store. One set of jaws fit perfect into the retaining ring.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Ebay, but I emailed the guy and dealt off only through email and not ebay.

Not very safe I know, but it came good and cheap ($35 USD) so I went and bought more stuff from the same guy.

-YC