Hot topics through the years? Remember.

alberto

Enlightened
I've been a member of CPF since 2002 and find it interesting that various topics are "hot" for a while and then another topic takes it's place. What are the hot topics that you remember, and when?

I don't have a great memory but it seems in 2002, the hot topics were Arc AAA lights, what Surefire was doing with LED, new Inova multi-LED lights, and 5mm LED technology. Each year, a whole new set of topics was hot.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first arrived here it was all about the Fenix L1P. It was the first reasonably priced AA Luxeon light and was all the rage. Before that the Nuwai Q3 was the most talked about light with its low cost and good output.
It seems that since then Fenix has pretty much stayed on top as the number one talked about Manufacturer on this site.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can remember much talk about the release of the Arc AA. There was quite a scramble to get one after Peter made the announcement. Then there was the CMG Sonic, the first competition for the Arc AAA. Also, the first generation of the Inova X1 brought much speculation, then wonder about what to do with its spot beam.

Great memories.

Geoff

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA for the enthusists, Dorcy AAA for the rest of us.
Nuwai Q-III - RCR123A, 2 stage switch, flupic.
MJLED - the LED that works in a minimag without needing a boost circuit. Sandwiches are for eating!
Fenix L1P 1AA followed by L0P(-SE) 1AAA followed by..... .....followed by The War of the Clones
MagLED
Eneloop
Cree 9070 XR-E LED
'Great deals' at Kyle's and Kai's places - 5th unit, DX, Kaidomain.

Somewhere along the way there are minor hotspots about the Xnovas, multiLED flashlights, MXDL, pocket clips and the infamous 10,000 lumen flashlight. And the famous tank searchlight.

I still get sticker shock and have stayed away from the Surefire, HDS, TNC, Mclux, McGizmo threads so don't really know what is going on there.

I came to CPF looking for a LED EDC and have not been to the other forums much. ROP, Thor, Mag followed by a # (have not figured out what Mag85 etc are yet)

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I joined here in Dec 2006. Those days it was all crazy about Surefires going Cree......til now still no show....

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I joined in 2001 it was all about Arc AAA and E2e, shortly afterwards the ARC LS and KL1 was all the buzz. Eternalights were popular too.

I had forgot all about the Q3 buzz, I never did pick one of those up.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been visiting CPF since late 2002, when Luxeons were just beginning to appear.

These are some of the popular discussion topics that I remember:

Arc LS (excellent), CMG Reactor (crap) :p
Arc AAA
Many multi-5mm LED lights

Wayne's Luxeon sandwiches
Streamlight Twin-Task hybrids
Arc LSH (high dome Luxeon)
Longbow
Surefire L4 and other 5W Luxeon lights

Arc4+ and ensuing switch debacle
Inova T-series
Surefire KL1 with Luxeon III and TIR
Luxeon III lights in general

Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon :rock:
2x123A lights from Pelican and Pentagonlight
Fenix lights

McLuxIII PD
Cree XR-E begins to appear
Many HID lights become available

Many, many Cree lights

Anyway, this is just what I can come up with from memory. Feel free to add to, or correct, this timeline.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, it still rocks !

Just imagine how impressive it'd be with a Cree/SSC,

and a twist/click-stop head at 100%, 25%, and 5% power levels.

C'mon, Streamlight ! Get moving on this !

Oh, and keep the "no excuses" Limited Lifetime Warranty, also. :)

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing pictures of the early Luxeons and thinking where am I going to stick one of those huge things!:D There have been a lot of Hot topics over the years.I was into modding any aluminium boddied light I could find.I remember Wayne's sandwiches came in friut colors.
C:thinking: