50 Watt Emitter???

xiorcal

Newly Enlightened
They're claiming it's in the Edipower series, however if you take a look at the rest of the series, the efficiency decreases with greater power dissipation

5W 40lm/W
10W 40lm/W
20W 35lm/W

Claim on the website is 4700lm± = 50W 94lm/W Not likely, with the specs on the other emitters. However, the datasheet looks like authentic Edison Opto stuff... and it says 1800lm, which is 36lm/W (within reason) When you take into account that it's actually around 55W, it's ~33lm/W

The spec-sheet ("Preliminary V0.1") was released at the end of 06, so it's probably a product they haven't released yet. It's not on their website, that's for sure.

Why anyone would want to buy a 55W emitter when you can get 120lm more from 8 SSC/Cree at 30W is beyond me...

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Yeah it's real. Edison and Osram have been making 10, and 20 watt emitters for some time. They're huge, they use a ton of power, they are inefficient, they produce TONS of heat, and they're expensive. That's five good reasons they're not very suitable for flashlights.

Remember the Luxeon V? it was four 1W dice packed together in one emitter. This one looks like 7x7 dice, or 49 dice in one emitter. The die matrix alone is 20mm x 20mm. It's forward voltage is 23V @ 2.3A. Wow! You would need 20 rechargeable high-current NiMh AA batteries or two sealed lead-acid batteries to run it. Li-Ions won' handle the 2.3A draw. The LED Pro calculator gives a runtime of >12 hors using 1600mA AAs. I highly doubt that.

Lambda modded a Mag with a 10W Osram Ostar. It was spectacular, but for some reason ($$) it didn't get much attention. See it HERE

If I had a little more fun money, I'd like to make one.

Bernie

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it's real. They mention it in the news section of the Edison Opto web page. Due to be released Q2 of 2007. That's now. 100W version is coming next year. The 4700lm claim is just wrong. Document states 1800lm at 2.4A, so at max current of 4.9A will give considerably less than 3600lm.

As mentioned by Xiorcal, 55W at 2.4A, 23V giving 1800lm is ~33lm/w which is pretty poor by today's standards. Running at 4.9A will require over 100W and the LED will probably not last long. If they had made these using the Cree die, this product would be awesome.

The soon to be released 1000lm Osram Ostar is way more exciting IMO

Last edited: