*Received my P3D today* Not what I expected. (configure a p3d order...)

TheQase

Newly Enlightened
EDIT(Changed title - look at this post: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2051960#post2051960)

I have been looking through the forums and have determined that I am interested in a p3d. Seems like it is the brightest for the dollar.

On a side note: Will the p3d outshine one of those 3.8 watt Inova lights? And how much brighter is this light compared to a 2D mag-led?

OK - on to business.
I want to order from fenix-store.com because I want to be able to receive my order by the end of next week. But I dont know what to order. Obviously the light, but I dont know about the batteries to order.

I want a rechargeable solution, but there are many confusing posts here that I cant figure out.

So can someone tell me what to order from fenix-store so that when I get the light, i am all set?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can someone help me configure a p3d order?

Order the P3D in black or natural, then order the AW(Ultrafire)AW-139 to charge a wide variety of lithiums(CR123,14500,17670,18650), if you are only going to charge CR123 you can get the AW-138. For the batteries go with at least two AW RCR123 750 mah protected CR123. The AW 17670 protected reportedly do not fit. Don't forget to use CPF8 discount code for 8% off. Edit The AW-139 uses a higher current (450ma) vs the AW-138(250ma) so the 139 will charge faster, but you have to use spacers to charge CR123(I believe they are supplied with the charger). The AW-138 will let you charge 3.7v and 3.0v rechargeables, the 139 is 3.7v only. PS I own both chargers

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

On a side note: Will the p3d outshine one of those 3.8 watt Inova lights? And how much brighter is this light compared to a 2D mag-led?

The P2D-CE should be brighter overall then the 2D-MagLED(113 Lumen of the P2D-CE VS 52 Lumen of the MagLED, approximate Lumen) and the Inova but it will not throw as far as the 2D-MagLED(6800 Lux for the MagLED VS 2200 Lux of the P2D-CE). Review of P2D-CE, MagLED

For batteries, buy two RCR123s and a charger and you should be good.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check with Fenix-Store regarding RC123 type rechargeable batteries... Problem is that they are higher voltage than a primary cell--especially when they come right off of the charger.

I believe that the P3D-CE, from other here, have written that it will run only at full power (no dimming) until the rechargeable batteries are significantly discharged.

A two AA cell Fenix (or single AA) using NMHI rechargeable might be a better choice it you wish to keep the multi function / dimming features of the flashlight.

Here is a P3D rechargeable battery thread.

By the way, I am with you--the rechargeable issues with all of the battery/flashlight combinations out there--I am not even sure if my RC123 warning wrt the P3D is even accurate--I am sure I will be corrected quickly.

-Bill

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

It figures... those batteries are out of stock... and I want them fast...

I guess I could just buy the light and get batteries later. Poo.

EDIT: BB, The reason why I want the p3d, is because of its 160 lumens. The 2AA fenix is only 130 on turbo. While it would be much cheaper and safer on batteries, I am looking at the 160 lumens the most.

I dont know how much the average cr123a's cost at some place like wal-mart, but im sure it would get expensive if i am using turbo most a lot...

Last edited:

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, the more I read now.. It seems wise to not risk it, and just go ahead and use disposable batteries and live with the quality vs quantity (of charging).

40 bucks in batts and chargers could get me about 18 cr123 disposables.

Im just so confused......

Confederate

Enlightened
Great Lights

I can tell you from experience that the light from a P2D or P3D not only is far out of preportion to their sizes, they're both reliable and easy to use. When I first opened my P2D, I thought I had made a huge mistake. The thing looks like something one would attach to a keyring to and use when he couldn't fit a key into a lock at night. But appearances can be deceiving. The tiny thing lit up my entire back woods lot on "maximum" and "high," and will last for hours on its lower setting.

Although both lights are fantastic, I ultimately prefer the 1-cell light over the two. The output seems the same on the bright settings and I like the idea of using one cell at a time rather than two.

I also like ordering through Brightguy.com. They have great customer service and other items, including the entire Inova line, which is another great collection of flashlights. On a whim I ordered their X1 with a blue LED and I find I use it all the time. Next time I order I'll get one in green.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the P3D-CE too--mostly because I like that it is shorter than the 2xAA--The fact that it is a bit brighter is nice too... :D

However, our eyes work on a logarithmic scale (1, 10, 100) not linear (2,4,6,8)... I real life, it is very difficult to fire up a 160 lumen and a 130 lumen light and see the difference.

I have a UK 4AA eLED (actually both the 1/2 watt and the 1/2 / 1 watt) and I have to pay very close attention to make sure that I have it on the 0.5 watt setting most of the time (batteries last over twice as long). The 1.0 watt setting is hardly noticeable over the 1/2 watt setting. There is no way that you could accurately tell the difference if I used the light on 1 watt setting one night and 1/2 watt setting on another night without using a light meter.

On the other end of the scale, a 10x increase in light level is a night vs day change.

Regarding CR123 batteries, you can get them down to ~$1.35 a piece (shipped) from www.amondotech.com (from another thread--Amondotexh's batteries have been very highly rated by others here) or $1.75 a piece from www.fenix-store.com (shipped, possibly even overseas).

Amondotech is in California--so I get hit with ~8.5% sales tax too (and, apparently, no will-call to avoid shipping charges).

$4-$8 a CR123 battery is not uncommon in the "wild" (on vacation and you need two for your camera). Bringing your own is pretty much a requirement with CR123's. AA's alkalines from Costco (very good quality--probably better than Duracell, brick of 48) are like $0.25 each.

For "CPF Friendly" retailers--check this thread (some offer discounts to CPF'ers).

-Bill

Talas

Newly Enlightened

You'll be fine with disposables. 18 pcs should give you 45 hours on high... you can walk for an hour each day (and have the light on the entire hour) for a month and a half! Even on turbo, you'll have 16 hours to impress yourself and your friends. I've had the P3 since they came out and am still on the first set of batteries. I think in actual use the primaries will last longer than you think as you'll likely use different levels intermittently... and you won't worry about having to make sure you always have a full charge or topping off before you go out. Get your light and enjoy it!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Email fenixstore.com and have him suggest the correct rechargeable battery and charger. The seller should know what to use in the products he sell. Also the Fenix should be able to handle any rechargeable 3.0v battery, or if it can't handle it then I would really consider the quality of the light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

According to Flashlightreviews, there is only a 12 lumen difference between a P2D-CE and a P3D-CE on turbo(overall output of a LED light x1.39 = approximate lumen output, multiply overall output by 1.62 for approximate lumen output of incandescent lights).

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own the P3D input voltage is up to 8.4v I use RCR123(4.2v fully charged x 2=8.4v) all modes function correctly. It's the P2D which I also own that you only get turbo when using a rechargeable 3.7v(4.2v fully charged) until the battery voltage drops to ~3.2v. Here is another thread on rechargeables for the P3D: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/167116

Last edited:

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, now I think I am about to eat my words on the L2D CE... The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much 25 lumens is going to benefit me over the cost of batteries when I can get AA's a dime a dozen.

The length of it bothers me... and just KNOWING there is a brighter fenix out ther bothers me too... If im going to pay that much for a light, then why not get the brightest....

hmmm... what to do, what to do...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

It all depends on your needs... If you live in an area with very cold weather--Lithium is the way to go. If you don't have access to cheap CR123's, AA is the way to go.

In any case--with the multi-level light, most of the time will probably be spent on low power--you are not stuck with a high powered flashlight burning through two batteries every hour and a new bulb every 10 or 20 hours of use. 65 hours on low for P3D-CE is a long time between battery changes. Batteries that last 10+ years in storage is good to have in emergencies...

I have a few LED CR123 lights and extra batteries. I got the P3D because I was not going through my smallish stock CR123 batteries fast enough. Was a good enough excuse for me to the the P3D-CE.

But then again--candles are pretty cheap and can keep your hands warm too. :candle:

-Bill

Optik49

Enlightened

You can not go wrong with the Fenix P3D. I have a P3D (black) P2 (natural) and just picked up a L1D. I like them all. The P2 is perfect for EDC. The P3 is just a little brighter, little longer and has a longer runtime.

The L1D surprised me because it is right in the middle size wise. Thicker than a JetBeam MKII. Actually it is just as thick as the P2 and P3 i thought it would be thiner like the JetBeam. But the light output is great and it is a great alternative if you want a single AA light.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Yep... I think I have made my decision on what to buy tomorrow.

I would like to buy a:
-P3D CE
-L1D CE
-P2D Body
-Batteries

(I hate CPF :D)

Now I just dont know where to buy them from. How fast is shipping from fenix-store.com? I am in the 1-day zone for Brightguy, but fenix-store offers the 8% Discount and has the the p2d body.

I would like to have the lights Wednesday or Thursday. Do you think fenix-store can do it?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The P3D-CE will NOT work with the L1D-CE body unless you use a 3.7v 14500 battery. The P3D-CE uses a different head then the P2D-CE, L1D-CE and L2D-CE. The P3D-CE's head lowers voltages from 3.7-8.4V to the voltage and current the LED needs(Buck circuit). It will not raise 1.5V to the 3-3.7V a white LED needs.

So unless you are planning on using lithium ion rechargeable batteries, the P2D-CE body and L1D-CE body will not work with the P3D-CE head.

TheQase

Newly Enlightened

Nope,

I plan on using the P3D as its own light; no modifications or changes. I plan on swapping heads from the L1D and the P2D having the option to use either one AA, or one CR123a

I think that is how it is supposed to work anyways?