Does a Dimmable LED FLood exist?

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first house and I want to save energy and electric costs so I was thinking about converting to all LED and CPF. For the main rooms I don't want CPF due to the flicker.

I want something that is warm white so it looks incandescent. Also I don't want it to look like the older LED screw in lights that were just a ton of led's stacked. It has to look somewhat "pretty" haha.

Also Is there anything available in CREE?

Thanks in advance!

blahblahblah

Enlightened
I just bought my first house and I want to save energy and electric costs so I was thinking about converting to all LED and CPF. For the main rooms I don't want CPF due to the flicker.

I want something that is warm white so it looks incandescent. Also I don't want it to look like the older LED screw in lights that were just a ton of led's stacked. It has to look somewhat "pretty" haha.

Thanks in advance!

"CPF" ???
I believe Sasha fixed the "flicker" with the last round of server upgrades. :crackup:

Seriously... CFL is your one of your better options. If you insist on LED, check out the fixed lighting thread. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1796498

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'd buy the Wiseled Tactical. 1,000 Lumens, dimmable and one heck of a throw. Also waterproof to 600 ft. But expensive.

You can look for at test of it that I made (search stella_polaris + wiseled tactical).

You can also visit www.wiseled.com

My Wiseled Tactical has now been added as my avatar.

Last edited:

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
So there is no screw in LED bulb that is dimmable? Bummer.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
hogx1,
The typical home incandescent lights dim via a dimmer switch that varies the voltage to the lamp. The LED lights are constant current lights and have drivers that typically can work on a range of voltage and still provide constant current and constant output. In other words, by design, they would ignore the wall dimmer switch as it varied the input voltage to them. I am no expert so these comments are likely flawed at some level.

There are some nice screw in LED bulb replacements but inherently, I think this is the "wrong" approach. Many incandescent lamp fixtures are designed specifically to thermally isolate the bulb. The fixture may well have good thermal mass and good surface area for heat disipation but the ceramic socket for the bulb intentionally isolates the bulb from this relief.

I am confident that what you seek will become available and there is no doubt many companies looking into these solutions as I type. LED's are ideal luminares for dimming applications!!! At this point, what you want is available but at a custom and DIY level.

I am no EE but I would guess that a system could be engineered where a special dimmer switch could be installed on a mains system where it sent a signal to the LED light which told it what level to drive the LED light at. If I were an EE, I would pursue such a design. In other words, one would install a special dimmer switch in place of the standard wall switch and one would install a partnered LED bulb(s) powered by this switch.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
hogx1,
The typical home incandescent lights dim via a dimmer switch that varies the voltage to the lamp. The LED lights are constant current lights and have drivers that typically can work on a range of voltage and still provide constant current and constant output. In other words, by design, they would ignore the wall dimmer switch as it varied the input voltage to them. I am no expert so these comments are likely flawed at some level.

There are some nice screw in LED bulb replacements but inherently, I think this is the "wrong" approach. Many incandescent lamp fixtures are designed specifically to thermally isolate the bulb. The fixture may well have good thermal mass and good surface area for heat disipation but the ceramic socket for the bulb intentionally isolates the bulb from this relief.

I am confident that what you seek will become available and there is no doubt many companies looking into these solutions as I type. LED's are ideal luminares for dimming applications!!! At this point, what you want is available but at a custom and DIY level.

I am no EE but I would guess that a system could be engineered where a special dimmer switch could be installed on a mains system where it sent a signal to the LED light which told it what level to drive the LED light at. If I were an EE, I would pursue such a design. In other words, one would install a special dimmer switch in place of the standard wall switch and one would install a partnered LED bulb(s) powered by this switch.

Its so refreshing reading a very helpful post.

What if we forget the dimmable option, what would you say is the best screw in LED flood? I don't want to do any modifying just screw the bulbs in and save some money.

PS. your house looks freakin awesome, you got some mad skills.