LS3- what to expect?

logical

Newly Enlightened
I realize at least some of the appeal and value of the LS3 is the limited quantity but I am assuming it is also a well made flashlight. I only have a few Arcs....all aaa's and when it comes to a combination of looks, quality and utility, they are first rate. I'm sure this or that keychain light is cheaper or brighter but to me it isn't that appealing to have some odd-shaped squeeze-light...it just isn't my style.

my question is: Just what is this thing all about? How will it compare to an E2e with a KL1....or some of the other stuff out there. In other words...if Arc was willing to make them by the thousands....what would you pay and why?

dark star

Enlightened
I'm sure the LS3 is a well made light , but IMHO there are some problems with it that kept me from wanting one. I'm quite suprised there was such a feeding frenzy for them - I didn't think they would be so popular.

1. The 5 watt Luxeon is only rated at 1000 hours(yes thats a long time- but does it mean at 500 hours its 2/3 as bright? and 1000 hours at what temperature- the LS3 may be hotter), they are still having problems making a stable white light. I would guess the Luxeon would be good for 3 thousand hours ( but at full or declining brightness? ) in the Arc since its at 2.5 watts, but still when I pay alot for a LED light I will want a LED that does not have problems.

2. No options for using rechargable batteries, this puppy using 2 123 batteries will be expensive to use for a constant light source

3. Heat - it will also get hot very quickly, if accidently turned/left on it may get too hot to hold. I had a 500ma LS for awhile and that got too hot for me.

3. Size - uses 2 123's.

Too large for an EDC, too expensive and hot (and the LED may wear out) to operate for hiking or other long activity where its on for 1 hour+. Other then the novelty factor I'm not sure what its good for.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
dark star - not questioning your post in general - but for a rechargeble solution one might use a Copia 168B LiIon instead of the two 123´s -I would **guestimate** this to work fine.

Klaus

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Unless I am mistaken, that 1000 hour life figure is the time that the emitter will be at >85% of initial brightness.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dark star:
2. No options for using rechargable batteries, this puppy using 2 123 batteries will be expensive to use for a constant light source

3. Heat - it will also get hot very quickly, if accidently turned/left on it may get too hot to hold. I had a 500ma LS for awhile and that got too hot for me.

3. Size - uses 2 123's.

Too large for an EDC, too expensive and hot (and the LED may wear out) to operate for hiking or other long activity where its on for 1 hour+. Other then the novelty factor I'm not sure what its good for.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can actually run the LS3 on 2AA power pack. I have an LS1 second modified to run 500mA using a 5W Luxeon. NiMH is a must since alkies can't supply the current. That's 3.2W, more than the LS3 which is 2.5W. 2 Energizer 1850 mAH runs this thing a bit over half an hour, probably more in intermittent mode. Yes, it's short but it does work and it is an option. And yes, it does get HOT! The short lifetime of the LED is an issue to some but I use this as a tool (it doesn't sit in a curio cabinet) and by the time it wears out, I'll have a KL6000 putting out 250+ lumens from a Copia 168B-powered E2e for 6 hours
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

dark star

Enlightened
Originally posted by CM:
You can actually run the LS3 on 2AA power pack..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gosh, I wish I knew that earlier. Where can I buy one of these LS3's?
wink.gif

What I really want is a cyan LS3 with an hour runtime on 3+ NiMH AA cells.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,

It may be that the Copia 168b will drive the LS3 bezel? I had one shut down on me trying to drive a 5W at 700 mA but the LS3 might slip in under the max power capability of the LS3. If someone has the parts, they may give it a whirl. I have given away or sold all of my underdriven 5W's so I can't check it out.

- Don