24 Hours of Le Mans

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Who here is watching the race?

Right now its night over there and I'm trying to see what flashlights they're using when the cars pit :twothumbs

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I've been a fan of prototype racing for more than 35 years, and saw Alex Gurney race at Watkins Glen just last weekend (a really full day of racing and for only $30), so seeing good Le Mans coverage is a real treat. Plus who wouldn't love to see a diesel powered car capable of 210 mph! Multi-class racing during the night has to be one of the scariest things ever.

OK, now for a CPF type question: how do they illuminate the numbers on the side of the cars? The numbers show up very brightly which is great for both spectators and safety workers. Is it lit from behind or an EL panel? Very cool whatever it is.

The lighting in the pits, handhelds being used by the crews, and the light system on the cars to tell which classes of cars are which and what the top 3 positions in each class are, makes for an interesting time for a light geek, too.

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it is an EL panel. I remember the SPEED commentators talking about that a season or two ago.

I wish Mazda or someone would develop a rotary-powered vehicle. The 787B was fantastic! Even the RX-8 in the Daytona GT series sounds amazing and is performing well too.