Newly Enlightened
LS3 on the left, LS2 on the right.

ls3_01.jpg

ls3_02.jpg

ls3_03.jpg

Fresh 123's in both.

dark star

Enlightened
Which version LS2 - I assume LS2H-P. Then your beamshots are about as expected, the LS2H-p should have a better throw.

MY

Enlightened
I am hoping that total output would put the LS3 way out in front. Please post pictures of the lights illuminating a room.

Thanks.

dark star

Enlightened
Other then the LS2H (if his LS2 is one) having better throw, two other factors are going on here.
1. Lots of variation with white Luxeons-including 5watt.

2. the LS3 is underdriven, so if it has a greenish tint, that tint will be more pronounced.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't suppose you have an LS1 picture to boot? Still debating whether to get one. I like your cabinet pictures and wonder how an LS1 would look in the same situation.

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Hmmmmmmm, the LS3 isn't as bright as I thought it would be. I estimated at least 800 Lux but only 325? That seems to be seriously underdriven.

Can anyone explain why? Thanks.

B@rt

Flashaholic
The total amount of photons emitted by the 5W will be more, but due to the brighter hotspot on the 1W, the meter readings are not as high. the 5W has a lot more sidespill.
Hope this helps,

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lumens would you guess the underdriven LS3 outputs - in comparison to Surefire Lumen ratings?

If the LS1 1watt output is similar to an E1, then what would the LS3 compare to (doesn't have to SF)?

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
I just received my Arc LS-3 . . .
grin.gif

When I compare it to my KL1 it produces a "Spot on the wall" that is at least twice as large (from the same distance).

It is also MUCH brighter
shocked.gif
and MUCH whiter than both my KL1 and my KL3!
cool.gif

It's not dark here yet so "throw" is kinda' hard to check but the LS-3 sure lights up a large walk-in closet! The "flood" effect reaches almost from ceiling to floor.

There are a few slightly dimmer spots in the beam but it is pleasingly bright!

"Lux"

Anarchocap

Enlightened
If that's in the center spot on each side, its normal and the design of the high dome LS. Those are the emitter wires.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Ok, it's dark now!

Arc LS3 031 lights up my bedroom like my Father's M3 with a beamshaper on!
grin.gif

(it's not quite t h a t bright but the coverage is very similar).

I used to really like my KL3. It now seems very wimpy and inadequate
bluesigh.gif

This is a serious flood light!
bowdown.gif

It "throws" from one end of the house to the other and gives a very useful "flood" effect. It does not have anything close to a "beam" or "spotlight" effect, however.

Sadly, it's raining and I can't go outside right now - more later . . .

"Lux"

Kiu

Enlightened
from the beam shot, i will wait a LS4(real 5W driven LS). it is too expensive for me to get this 2.5W LS
frown.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Luther-an,

I get similar results for a 5W mod that I have. That's a real good test of lumen output-shine the light up at the ceiling and note how much room illumnation you get. I tested a 6Z (65 Lumens) against a 5W LS driven at 2.5W and the outputs are very similar in illuminating power. The color temperature is definitely the big difference. I'm debating whether the A2 Aviator (50 lumens for 1 hour on 2x123) is worth it now after seeing what an underdriven 5W can do. Similar to 65 Lumens but 2-3 hours runtime.