Is the WE 170LM Cree brighter than a P61?

ugrey

Enlightened
Simple question: Is the Wolf Eyes 170 lumen drop in Cree brighter and a better beam than a SF P61, with both on primaries. I have searched the forum and seen no comparison with a P61. I am thinking of setting up an E series body with an adapter, Z44 head and a WE Cree drop in (smaller, brighter, better). As always, thanks for any answers.

ugrey

Enlightened
How about a little help here guys. Is there no one here who owns both of these? Inquiring minds want to know.

Glen C

Enlightened
Ugrey, I have the P60 and the WE 170 drop in if that is any help but I guess it isn't

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few different Cree based drop-ins (though not the specific W.E. drop in) and none of them come close to a P61 in output, with the same power source.

--dan.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I have a few different Cree based drop-ins (though not the specific W.E. drop in) and none of them come close to a P61 in output, with the same power source.

--dan.

I thought the D26 Wolf Eyes was rated at 170 lumens, unless it's a different type of lumens. The P61 lamp is only 120 lumens so even if the 170 rating that the Wolf Eyes had was a different measurement or something, I wouldn't think it'd be that far off that it would be dimmer than the P61.

Of course I don't know for sure either.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
To get from bulb lumen, to out the front lumens you need to divide buy 65; So 65% of 170 is ~110.

So they may be in the same ball park of lumens, but the beams may be different.
I'm betting the P61 will be brighter than 120 lumens at the start, with a narrow spot and a lot of throw, but will fall of to average of 120, and the cree will be nice and bright but not with such an intense spot, and more spill.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I see, thanks. Either way, for the little difference there seems to be on paper for the brightness, I'll take the MUCH longer runtime with the WE over the P61 any day.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
so i am sitting here with my P61 and my G&P 7w K2 and the P61 is not that much brighter I would like to know how the WE drop in is not killing the P61 in every direction. I have seen some beam shots of the WE vs. p91 and thay looked about the same but the WE was more white. so whats the deal with the WE 170lm is the output a lie and I thought if was a 30% loss and not a 65% loss

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Ooops, What I posted above doesnt make perfect sense, But effectivley, bulb, ( or emmitter ) lumens are before losses throught the lense/ reflector etc.

Not 65% is supposedly the figure of actual output.

170 is not a lie, but it depends what and how you measure.
Surefire measure the average output of the lamp. I've no doubt that WE are measuring the peak output before it has even made it out of the reflector.

Your right you should have more runtime, I dont know what it draws, but I bet its easily half that of the P61.

On paper the P61 may be brighter, but I think the WE will look brighter and I havent even seen the beam shots.

But I'm still an Incan guy over LED, althought these cree's are giving the smaller lamps a good run for the money now.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the D26 Wolf Eyes was rated at 170 lumens, unless it's a different type of lumens. The P61 lamp is only 120 lumens so even if the 170 rating that the Wolf Eyes had was a different measurement or something, I wouldn't think it'd be that far off that it would be dimmer than the P61.

Of course I don't know for sure either.
Yeah, but the P61 is 120 SureFire lumens. We all know those Cree LED modules don't use real torch lumens.

DM51

Flashaholic
The P61 is 120 torch lumens. The WE drop-in is 170 bulb lumens, which is ~110 torch lumens (the ratio is ~2/3). The difference in actual output is not large, although the P61 will be brighter, particularly to start with. The LED drop-in will fool you into thinking it is pretty bright because of the blue-white component of the light it emits. The LED drop-in will have maybe 3x longer run-time.

Latest posts