DX Cree Reflector used with SSC P4. Any mods needed?

joedm

Newly Enlightened
I bought this reflector (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3257) and have used it together with a SSC P4. The base of the reflector cone itself sits on top of the black surround on the led.

My question is, is this the optimal position for the SSC? Or should it protrude further into the reflector cone (remembering this is a cree reflector)??

Anyone modded one of these? did you have to open up the hole for the led to fit into the reflector? and if you did how did you overcome the reflector contacting the -ve and +ve on the led? Was it necessary to sand the base of the reflector down a bit?

I've remove the threads as I did not need the slug that screws into the reflector.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Look into the reflector, if you see yellow phosphor from the LED reflected in the whole reflector, then the LED is in the right position.

joedm

Newly Enlightened
Just did that.. it's not perfectly yellow all over the reflector..
Maybe i can try to take a picture.

EDIT: Here's the pic. I notice I can only see the led reflected in the lower part of the reflector. does this mean I need to raise the led into the reflector more? maybe sand a bit off the bottom of the reflector?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Place the flashlight somewhere and look at it at a further distance, about 1 meter If it still appears out of focus, then you would have to refocus it(unless you like the beam pattern right now). Some reflector's focus the light at a further distance and will appear out of focus at a close distance.

I don't remember if you have to move it up or down, I think it means the led is a bit too high in the reflector.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I switched to a SSC P4 on a similar reflector, and I reamed the hole to a larger diameter to get the LED further into the reflector. I got a little better focus, but its still a much more floody light with the Seoul compared to the Cree.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
I think the LED is too high in the reflector. You probably need to lift the reflector nearly 1mm away from the SSC to get good focus. However SSC has a much wider output angle so you'll lose considerable light with a Cree reflector.