What is the brightest LED light using normal AA

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most ebayers like to over state the actual lumen of a flashlight to grab people's attention and to make them but the light. Many of the Cree and Seoul lights on Ebay can be bought at Dealextreme or Kaidomain at a cheaper price. For example, the Ultrafire C3 at your link is US $23 without shipping, the same light is sold on Dealextreme(link to the light) for $20.50 including shipping.

Most Cree lights on Ebay show lumen because the consumer usually don't know that a Cree or Seoul LED has twice the efficiency of Luxeons. They see the 3watt rating(actually a Luxeon III is not 3 watts, can be driven at any amount of power but too high will burn out the emitter) and go for the cheaper Luxeon instead of the brighter Cree.

Neither Cree nor Luxeon rate their LEDs using watts. They usually state Min and max drive voltage and drive current. The lumen per watt rating of a bin of LED is a range of outputs.

A "1 watt" Luxeon is usually a Luxeon 1 that could be driven at above or under 1 watt. 3watt usually = Luxeon III and any rating above 6 watts is usually bogus claims. The Luxeon K2 can be driven at 6+ watts but a Cree or Seoul LED can easily match that performance when driven at 3.7v and 1 amp(3.7 watt).

The Brightest AA Cree light that I know of is the Fenix L2D-CE on turbo. About 122 actual lumens(according to Flashlighreviews). The Ultrafire C3 is a pretty good light for the money. Most people have the single AA version and others haven't received the 2AA extension tube yet. Review of C3.

Last edited:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
yea damn shame flashlightreviews.com is retiring:( measurement of flashlight brightness is so easy to futz it seems, hard to have good comparisons without consistent testing

NickBose

Enlightened
Thanks for all the pointers.
Probably I'll go with the Ultrafire C3
Its beam shot looks at least as good as if not slightly better than the Fenix

carrot

Flashaholic
The problem with the Fenix knock-offs (funny that) is that they generally have much poorer runtime due to circuitry inefficiencies. The Ultrafire also trades off a slightly better beam quality for less throw. Don't know if throw is important to you but a lot of people seem to make a fuss of it. When I want throw I bring out my M3T...

Get a Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. There is simply not many LED that will project a beam further than this. This one runs about 3-4 hours on one set of batteries and it is intrinsically safe rated.

There is a Chinese manufacturer called Fenix and while some of them come very close in throw, none that runs on AA beats the Streamlight in projecting ability. The 4AA PP is perhaps the furthest projecting mass production AA flashlight available.

The problem with the Fenix knock-offs (funny that) is that they generally have much poorer runtime due to circuitry inefficiencies. The Ultrafire also trades off a slightly better beam quality for less throw. Don't know if throw is important to you but a lot of people seem to make a fuss of it. When I want throw I bring out my M3T...

carrot, that statement has been made before and I've been given excuses and rationalization, but I have never been presented with the data I requested.

I would like a percent conversion efficiency vs input voltage range graph of the Fenix and the "knock offs" you claim to have inferior driver efficiency.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. There is simply not many LED that will project a beam further than this. This one runs about 3-4 hours on one set of batteries and it is intrinsically safe rated.

There is a Chinese manufacturer called Fenix and while some of them come very close in throw, none that runs on AA beats the Streamlight in projecting ability. The 4AA PP is perhaps the furthest projecting mass production AA flashlight available.

Twice the size but half the output and a cheap plastic lens compared to the Fenix? No thanks...

Twice the size but half the output and a cheap plastic lens compared to the Fenix? No thanks...

The L2D-CE comes very close to the 4AA PP Luxeon in brightness, but not quite and that's with the L2D-CE in "turbo" mode that doesn't even offer a full hour on turbo mode on alkaline batteries before the output plummets.

4AA PP Luxeon is brighter by a tad. Original poster asked about bright, not total output. If that's what he was concerned with, he would get a 100 LED shower head type.

It runs around 5 hrs with NiMH(compared to ~1 hr on L2D-CE in turbo)

The fact the lens is plastic doesn't make the product inferior in its intended application.

4AA PP is intrinsically safe rated. *.* of Fenix isn't.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
The PP 4AA is too ugly, bulky, heavy and cheap looking. Otherwise I would consider it.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the pointers.
Probably I'll go with the Ultrafire C3
Its beam shot looks at least as good as if not slightly better than the Fenix
A lot of people are happy with their Ultrafire C3. But some, like me, haven't had much luck with it. The first one I received burned out after the first two seconds after it was on. It's battery tube was also very small--accepted Alkie AA cells and the li-ion I got with it, but even my older puny 1800 mah NiMH AAs were too fat. The build quality is very good though.

Just received my replacement yesterday after over a month and too much return postage, even though I twice indicated I wanted a refund to my Paypal account, not an exchange. The replacement light works fine so far, but its battery tube is even narrower than the first, the li-ion barely fits if I rotate it to match the shape of the tube just right--apparently it's not perfectly round. Haven't tried other cells with it, frankly just too disappointed and disgussed with it having wasted too much of my time and money on it already. To add insult to injury, it even came back missing the holster...

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE comes very close to the 4AA PP Luxeon in brightness, but not quite and that's with the L2D-CE in "turbo" mode that offers about 1 hour of service with NiMH.

4AA PP Luxeon is brighter by a tad. Original poster asked about bright, not total output. If that's what he was concerned with, he would get a 100 LED shower head type.

The fact the lens is plastic doesn't make the product inferior in its intended application.

Thats hardly a fair comparison.

#1 You are comparing a 2xAA light with a 4xAA light. For a 2xAA light to
be as bright as a 4xAA light is quite impressive actually.

#2 The Fenix has a current regulated with 6 different modes controlled
by a microprocessor.

#3 You can't say that a plastic lens is not inferior to a glass lens. The plastic
lens scratches just by wiping dirt off the lens. The Fenix lights use
chemically hardened glass that is resistant to impact. It's also treated on
both sides with an anti-reflective coating to allow 99% of light to pass
through.

#4 The propolymer is just that - plastic. The Fenix is CNC machine aerospace aluminum.
Finished with hard annodized coating. (50 microns). Anyone who knows something about
power LED's know that they need a proper heat path for it to have a long life.

Please have all your facts straight before making comparisons. :D

Last edited:

Learjet

Enlightened
The problem with the Fenix knock-offs (funny that) is that they generally have much poorer runtime due to circuitry inefficiencies.

+1. My Ultrafire light is a nice little light and the beam quality is very good. But the runtime for a given brightness just doesn't stand a chance against Fenix.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2D-CE comes very close to the 4AA PP Luxeon in brightness, but not quite and that's with the L2D-CE in "turbo" mode that offers about 1 hour of service with NiMH.

4AA PP is intrinsically safe rated. *.* of Fenix isn't.

I think you better get the facts right:

The output of the Luxeon1 4AA PP is 2350(as taken from flaslightreviews.com), whereas the L1D-CE is 4450 and the L2D-CE is 5000, both not even in Turbo mode.... Runtimes are 2 hrs and 4 hrs respectively for the 1 and 2 cell Fenix, compared with your inefficient 4 cell light which only coughs up 3.5hrs... ON 4 CELLS & HALF THE BRIGHTNESS!!!:nana:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Bicker, bicker grouch and grumble.

The OP said "normal AA" (as in ONE 1.2-1.5V).

I don't have vast array of said lights, but everyone I show my MTE Seoul SSc light to says "WOW that's bright!"

It doesn't "throw" as well as Streamlight 4AA LUX, but then it's TINY compared to it.

My SL 4AA LUX impressed to ****ens out of me when I got it. It still is good stuff.

But when I can put a 1xAA and a 1X123 light on me with little penalty the world is a better place!