Export of IR Flashlight

tadbik

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Tried to order the new Streamlight Sidewinder with Infrared lamp from Brightguy but I've had the order cancelled because this item cannot be exported from the U.S.

Anyone know about the relevant laws? I can ask someone in U.S. to purchase this for me but would I be on Uncle Sam's most wanted list if I took it out of the U.S.?

Seems a touch stupid. We (Police) have the U.S. made night vision gogles that I want the IR for and it was presumably exported with the correct licenses.

Don't want to do anything illegal and could use same advice.

Dave
(Israel Police)

p.s. This is a personal purchase and not for police.

tadbik

Enlightened
Contact member Unforgiven and have him forward it to you, his service is fantastic.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=141638
Norm

Thanks Norm but you're missing the point! The question is, will the FBI be knocking in Unforgiven's front door because he sent a restricted item out of the country??

I will be in U.S. July so I can bring it home myself, just want to check the legality.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm not too sure about the "Not for sale outside the USA" there a flashlights that are marked this way on some dealer web sites but the same flashlights are available for sale here in Australia anyway.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Norm

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
I don't think there are any written laws about it, I'm sure it's just meant to discourage something "tactical" from falling into the wrong hands probably since it is an item not regularly used by the public and for "tactical" means with night vision. It may also be due to something in a contract, since they may produce items for the us military. I see some computer parts and gadgets that say that too. It would be pretty sad to see anyone from the FBI, federal marshals or other agencies checking you out just because you bought an infrared flashlight. If you keep buying 100 prepaid cell phones at a time and mail them somewhere, then they may get suspicious.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
US has laws on International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which prohibit the export of certain technologies overseas without a lot of paperwork. One example is Gen III night vision technology. Even if the other country already has it (e.g. you can already buy it there), it doesn't matter. You can't export it, and the penalties can be very serious depending on the case.

If someone else exports it for you, then they would be the one to get into trouble; and the US government does not accept ignorance as an excuse.

I don't know if (or what type) of IR lights are on the list, but I do know it is a long, long list...

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is just freaking LAME.

a IRled won't make someone become superman or have telescopic super night vision.

US sure hates the dealers selling this stuffs huh?(surefire lights too, suffer from this stupid law)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what they are probably trying to avoid (lots of stories like this with US/NATO/Russian/Etc. gear found everywhere around the world)--I doubt it was a CPF'er that is leaking 250 NVG's at a time....

British kit found in Hezbollah Bunkers (April 2006)...
The equipment was found by Israeli troops in Hezbollah command bunkers in southern Lebanon. Each set was stamped "made in Britain".

The Israelis made representations to the Foreign Office after it was revealed that Britain had sold 250 night-vision systems to Iran in 2003 for use against drug smugglers.

Foreign Office officials said early indications seemed to suggest that the night-vision equipment found by the Israelis was not part of the batch sold in 2003 to Iran. However, thorough checks were being made to compare serial numbers on the equipment found in the Hezbollah bunkers with those on the ones exported legitimately to Iran.

The Iranians are the prime sponsor of Hezbollah, and the Israeli authorities are demanding to know whether the equipment sold to Iran three years ago ended up in the hands of Hezbollah, which killed 117 Israeli soldiers during the month-long clashes in Lebanon.

A Department of Trade and Industry official said night-vision equipment of military specification required an export licence. The investigation will look into whether any British company might have breached export regulations.

The batch of 250 night-vision systems were given a special export licence in 2003 because they were intended to be used by Iranian police trying to stem the flow of heroin and opium from Afghanistan into Iran. Although there is what amounts to an arms embargo against Iran, aimed principally at stopping the export of equipment that could benefit Tehran's suspected nuclear weapons programme, the request for night-vision equipment was approved in recognition of the counter-narcotics work.
But with friends like this in "our governments"... Who needs enemies.

-Bill

tadbik

Enlightened
US has laws on International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which prohibit the export of certain technologies overseas without a lot of paperwork.

Well, found this on the ITAR site but I'n not sure it means IR light.

"Category XII-Fire Control, Range Finder, Optical and Guidance and Control Equipment

*(c) Infrared focal plane array detectors specifically designed, modified or configured for military use; image intensification and other night sighting equipment or systems specifically designed, modified, or configured for military use; second generation and above military image intensification tubes (defined below) specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military use, and, infrared, visible, and ultraviolet devices specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military application"

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, found this on the ITAR site but I'n not sure it means IR light.

"Category XII-Fire Control, Range Finder, Optical and Guidance and Control Equipment

*(c) Infrared focal plane array detectors specifically designed, modified or configured for military use; image intensification and other night sighting equipment or systems specifically designed, modified, or configured for military use; second generation and above military image intensification tubes (defined below) specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military use, and, infrared, visible, and ultraviolet devices specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military application"

That last phrase (bold) makes it seem to me to be alright for you to take the thing home with you if it's for personal, civilian use.

Latest posts