Shiny.....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m not known for modifying lights as you may or may not know, but I was bored this afternoon, started cleaning up some very old brass light sockets, when I had an idea (and my fingers got tired of rubbing them with Brasso wadding). It led for some reason to me fetching the very worn, tatty Arc AAA that goes everywhere on my huge keychain, sticking it in the end of the drill press in the "Worlds Smallest Workshop" and letting rip with some wet-and-dry paper, plus some more of that brasso. An hour later and I`d transformed the very tatty little thing into:

shinyarc.jpg

Some of the dings and scratches were too deep to be totally sanded/polished away and I havn`t got to grips with how I`ll strip and polish the remaining anodize at the tail end (the dremel tool I have at work probably will do it) but it does look quite good and has rejuvinated a tatty Version 2.0 light - at least for now.

I just thought some of you`d like to see it - maybe it`ll give you some ideas too. All it took was a benchtop drill-press, fine grade abrasive paper and some Brasso wadding - oh, and patience!

Just watch the drill motor doesn`t overheat. I don`t think they`re designed to run continuously - mine was starting to smell very hot by the time I was finished.

shocked.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it!

It`s actually not very easy at all, but then - it wasn`t before the stripping. The poor thing had sustained some damage to the lip of the battery tube in the past (no idea how!) and the result made it very stiff. At least it prevented the head from coming off - it did that a couple times before its little accident. The old V2s were prone to that, and this one didn`t have its grey foam retainer either. Fell off rather early on.

I would suspect that a non-damaged AAA would be eaeier to operate, though it`s inherantly going to be harder than with the knurling still there.

wink.gif

JohnG

Enlightened
B@rt, I was thinking the same thing.
They look like they're made of stainless steel.