Three stolen FM lights!!!

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the proper place to post this is in CPFM Jeers, but since these are custom lights I figured it might be better here.

Friday I picked up my SUV from the local Chevy dealership after having repairs. I had a detail done as well. When I picked up my SUV I noted I was missing 3 custom FM lights. I notified staff and the new detailer was away on vacation for a week. I told the manager I would hold off filing a police report until next Monday in case they can sort it out.

Anyhow I lost a 2 1/3D pewter spiral with a 2" pewter FM bezel. A 1.5D 700L black spiral with an AWR hot driver and Kiu stainless bezel with glow powder. Finally a red 1D 700L with a red 2" bezel as well. All lights were fully loaded with batteries and bulbs. Perhaps the guy out of town couldn't help himself, perhaps he will google flashlights. Who knows?

Anyhow I live in an affluent community and always have lights lying around and shouldn't have had to worry about this at a dealer. This just totally sucks. Please don't make this mistake yourselves and assume nobody will know what these are worth. If anyone sees these lights please let me know! Thanks

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! All are very nice lights! I would talk to the manager and do file the police report regardless, that little punk needs to be taught a lesson, on some dealers they have a sign that they are not responsible for items left in the car, but I am sure they have insurance to cover such loses.

I would have not taken the car back until the police have taken the theft report.

Hope you find them

AlexGT

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang Eric

Hate to hear that. Think about going to PoPo second and go right to the dealership owner and tell him straight-up what happend. Bet he'll reimburse you for the cost of the lights... You know FM he is a capitalist :naughty: (at least when it comes to lights) always selling...

Good luck and keep us informed...

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw man, major bummer Eric, I'd go off on the dealership and see if they can get your lights returned.

My local paper publishes a map of police incidents and locations weekly, so maybe the thought of bad press will help put pressure on the dealership. I'm not sure if the dealership will be willing to reimburse you, especially since they won't believe the value of those Mags. They might defer to the posted sign about not being responsible for items left in the vehicle.

Good luck, I hope you get the lights back. I would definitely file a police report ASAP.

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks royally. Idiots probably used them for inspection if I were you I would sneak into the workers area and check tool chests for them.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks a lot guys for letting me cry over my beer!:mecry:

Actually the brother of the CEO of Lithia Motors called me today. He's going to file a report and cover the loss. My town is where they launched this large dealership chain and I'm glad to see them ready to stand behind this. I'm still hoping for the sake of humanity it was just someone misplacing something, but I doubt it after hearing the details of the new employee and his trip back home from college for a week.

One of the downsides to the publicity of the advance and the hobby of flashlights has been the awareness of the value of these things. A year or two ago I just don't think this would have happened. While I was literally crying, well not literally, over my beer at a bar tonight I experienced something strange. A few patrons were shining pretty bright keychain lights! There were even colored ones. Then the bar mistress told me her boyfriend was going to get her a flashlight for self defense! Oh well, so much for the mystique of our hobby:) At least I still have a couple gold plated flashlights left. There you go, we still have an edge.:crackup:

It's been a tough year for me with flashlights. My SPY005 was lost in a postal truck that burned down to the axles. Several large proto boxes were lost and now this. Yuck!

Anyhow, they are going to monitor Craig's list, but I think it would either be this site or Ebay where he'd try to fence them.

knot

Banned
hehe, I bought 2 cars from Lithia Motors when I lived in Medford.

Sorry to hear about your lights. Those signs almost give people a license to steal.

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks knot. Yeah, local boys made good.

For the most part I think those signs are just to discourage people from leaving items. You just can't trust a car to a shop if you can't trust the possessions inside won't vanish. Sometimes it seems a mechanic is just as important as any doctor. Perhaps more so since you trust your life to them every time you get in your car.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The car forum I participate, guys have "lost" laptops, IPOD, phones, sunglasses... sad that people do not respect others property. The temptation is too much and many do not realize how much $$ a flashlight can be. Hope this works out.

Many of the local news shows have had hidden camera segments on valets, service techs and such removing items from cars.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some pics of the lost lights if you have them so if anyone happens to see them up for sale somewhere we can notify you and police. Sorry to hear this. I personally don't trust anyone enough to leave things around in anything public and as I was told one time - this is a bit of a twist but a good one to think about - don't make an honest person into a criminal by leaving temptation in their way. Most people have a give in point - if you found a million dollars in an obscure area - say in the forest - would you keep it? $10 million? $100 million? I think of keeping my valuables inaccessable as a responsibility.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric - Man, so sorry to hear about this! :scowl: Not easy to replace those bad boys, though probably possible over time. Sure hope they get "found" though.

Matrix - excellent suggestion! Some here may not know exactly what these look like, so posting some pics is a worthwhile endeavor.

Sorry for your loss, and hassles, Eric. :shakehead

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the stealership doesn't rectify the situation you should file a report with the BBB as well.

I used to work for an auto shop and we took customer claims of theft VERY seriously: It's bad for business!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Detail shop?
Probably a 3rd party operation at someplace unknown.
I think that's where they got snaked.

I deliver auto parts as an independant contractor for a 3rd party delivery service btw.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd, no this was in house at the dealer. I'll know Monday whether they will make good or not. That's when they will talk to their suspect employee.