Cheap AAA Red LED???

wrathothebunny

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm hoping I can solicit some input on where I might find a very CHEAP, Red LED that runs on 1 AAA cell, or button cells. It should be cylindrical in shape, and tiny. 1 AA could work, but it would have to have a thin body. The Arc/Peak AAAs are too expensive, and the Gerber Infinity is to thick. I intend to strap this baby on to my Fenix P3D while hiking trails (and take it off when I'm not). I need the beam to match the Fenix well, as I want the Red LED to fill out that end of the Fenix's spectrum, so that means plenty of spill and a large or diffuse hotspot. I do not need or want it to be bright, just 3 to 8 lumens should be plenty. Any ideas?

[Edit] How about the COAST LED Lenser in Red LED? It looks like the beam is lensed to output a defined and narrow circle, but I bet if I acid etched the lens it would turn into a very diffuse beam. Any experience with this light?

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak was my first thought but you nixed it. How about a Dorcy 1AAA and replace the white LED with a red one? You might need some Scotch Magic or Satin tape over the lens to spread the beam a bit.

Greg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Get a solitaire, a 10440 lithium ion, a resistor and a red LED and make yourself a light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Come to think of it, you may even be able to use two button cells, a spring and a red LED in a solitaire to make a cheap light, 3 button cells may be brighter but the overdrive may fry a red LED.

extremetito

Newly Enlightened
Peak LED Matterhorn with 1 LED. You can specify the color LED
Buy it from them directly: ( 877 ) 881-7325

Latest posts