Another "Help me buy my first flashlight" thread!

Which flashlight suits my described purpose best?

• Total voters

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks; I need a flashlight! This site rocks, and the guys in the laser section really helped me with advice in getting my green laser for my astronomy related job. Thanks if any of yall are reading!

I have been wanting a good flashlight for awhile, and the time has come! My crappy wal*mart $10 led is well...$10 spent at wal*mart.

I have done some research and am looking at the Streamlight 2l3w task light, the surefire u2, and the fenix l2d ce. I like the power variability and something with hella rugged construction. I am just rough on stuff, and the light is a general purpose light. Camping, offroading, wrenching, night hiking etc.

The Fenix really turns me on with the price, features, and AA batteries. There are two confusing modes that I don't understand, being the 'SOS' and 'Strobe'. Does this mean the flashlight is only on constantly up to 80lumens? The strobe really just flashes and does not stay on consistant? Some help with the different modes is appreciated!

Reviews, opinions, and suggestions all wanted. General purpose with rugged construction. I have only researched these three companies, if there's more out there let me know!

vic2367

Enlightened
if you want something rugged then the sf is for you,,,if you want something more brighter,longer lasting battery power wise,,,the L2D-ce,,,i have the L2D-ce and love it,,,i use regular alks and recharegables

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix has two Main modes selected by turning the bezel. In each Main mode you select the sub-level by clicking the button.
Four in General Mode: 9L, 40L, 80L and SOS (Series of Dots & Dashes)
Two in Turbo Mode: 135L and Strobe (Rapid flashing)

How much are you looking to spend?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say if you can afford $150, and can wait a month, go with one of these.

Otherwise, buy something cheap to use for a month until the above becomes available.

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Nitro - I was lookin probably to keep it under $100. I am leaving for australia here in 3 weeks or so for the rest of the year. Figured a good flashlight is a must for that big Playground!

I think the U2 would be best, but for the price and I just can justify. Plus that fenix has the cree LED. Don't know a log about it, but I guess its hella efficient and power conserving, what else could one ask for? Plus that SOS feature is just...cool!

That fenix almost has me sold, just looking for other suggestions/opinoins.

So in the fenix lineup, what are the advantages of getting the P3D over the L2D? Batteries seem to be a large factor in these high end lights. WOuld the cr123 lithium batteries really be better than some energizer e2 lithium AAs? What about the energizer recharables? How do they preform over the 123s and the e2 lithiums?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the P1D, that I don't like because of the Twisty. But I'm waiting on the P2D that I do like (buddy has one), because the Clicky. I like using RCR123 and wanted a one cell light, so I went with the P2D. The P3D is slightly brighter, and uses two cells.

tman11

Newly Enlightened
If you have the money to buy a U2 I have a recommendation. I have several surefires and love them all. My workhorse is the Fenix P3D because of the multi light settings, Sometimes you just don't need a million lums to find your keys in the dark. If I had around $200 I would just own 2 lights. The SF C2 with a Wolf Eyes Cree D26 HO 170 lum drop in, and a Fenix P3D. The WE drop in's are amazingly bright and the SF C2 is a very tough and reliable light..IMO

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say if you can afford $150, and can wait a month, go with one of these.

Otherwise, buy something cheap to use for a month until the above becomes available.
+1 for the Novac EDC 120P, I pre-ordered one this afternoon. I don't think you could find a more rugged light.

The previous model this was based on.... the HDS EDC 60 was built so rugged that they would let folks throw it as hard as they could at a concrete wall to see if they could make it stop working! It was a little banged up after 200+ throws, but still working.

Of the 3 in the poll..... I voted for the Fenix L2D CE, because I feel it is the best bang for the buck at this point in time, and currently my favorite light to use. My only concern would be the rugged aspect. It's well built, but........ I'm not sure it would stand up to a lot of abuse. Maybe it would.

As a less expensive alternative to the Surefire U2, you might consider a Surefire G2, and then also get the new Wolf Eyes 4 mode 170 lumen LED drop-in, due out a the end of the month. Add a rechargeable 1760 battery (I think that's the one that will work) and you'd be in guilt-free lumen paradise. :twothumbs

By the way, welcome to CPF. Enjoy the ride!

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I'm not voting since I only own the l2d-ce. However, this does illustrate the problem with this poll. What exactly does the answer mean--a popularity contest for the most widely held (and liked) of flashlights? Certainly not a representative poll of those who know what the various flashlights are like.

I will vote for a poll which has a choice of no more threads on "help me buy my first flashlight or led flashlight." I think people new to the lights should do a little research on this board and on the web and learn something, as I did, before posting "help me" thread. There's a ton of information which would make the answer much clearer.

Harvey

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the choices above I vote for others. For me SF L4 and L5 both fit my needs. They are by far not the brightest one can buy currently, but overall these are the ones I generally use and not leave home without it!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For Fenix, The P3D-CE has a higher high(12 more lumen) and a lower low(7 less lumens).

If you have the money, go for the Novatec lights. If you want a cheaper solution, go for the Fenix L2D-CE. The Novatec should be a lot tougher then the Fenix if they retained the HDS way of thinking.

If you are going with the Fenix, I'd suggest getting two. They are well built but can't take lots of abuse.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
My thoughts are that if you're willing to use 123s (which by your poll I presume you are), then my preferences would be for the U2 and/or the Fenix P3D.

Both take 123 batts, and are both brighter than the P2d, and are also vairable brightness.

I was testing out a few lights last night and those two are by far my favourites!
The P3D doesn't feel quite as solid as the U2 imho, but it's smaller, possibly brighter, and cheaper! hehe And the U2 has a great beam and feels super rugged.

:)

greenskies

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help everyone. I ordered the L2D from fenix-store the other day. It oughta be here saturday (I think usps first class is delivered on weekends) or monday if weekends aren't workends for usps. I am super stoked!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Propoly 4aa Luxeon is a good first light and easy to sell when your ready to move up.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need the surefire beast.

j/k

i will say the P3D if you really want to get hooked on flashaholicism

it has longer run time although it is bigger then the P2D.