So, Novatac is cool because...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm relatively new here, having experienced Lumapower, Liteflux, Inova, Fenix, Mag, Garrity, Princeton Tec, Jetbeam, etc.

I've been pretty happy with most of them, just switching stuff out since so much cool stuff is coming out every month it seems. Most have been great, but lacking a few things I wanted: low, low mode, good knurling, battery protection circuits, tough finish, good size, etc. Novatac seems great on all counts (except it's a lot more than I have ever spent so far!)

:faint:

So, now that the official Novatac announcement is out, I'm salivating a bit.

I've bounced around a bunch of threads, but am getting a little lost in all the hype and info.

Soooo, can you guys do me a favour, and voice some opinions here? Why is Novatac/HDS so cool? I've seen a bit of history in some of the posts but if you'd like to enlighten me some more with Arc/HDS/Novatac lore, please go ahead!

So, is it that good?

:devil:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's tough.
It's bright.
It's programmable.

What else could you ask for?

ginaz

Enlightened
i am waiting this one out. the extended wait has made some people quick on the trigger but i haven't seen anything i'm not getting from my seouled HDS. the programmable levels are brilliant and WILL impact your opinion of future flashlight purchases. witness my (and others) hesitation to "upgrade" from our seoul-mated HDS lights. there's no need. truly, no NEED.

JJohn

Enlightened
I'm relatively new here, having experienced Lumapower, Liteflux, Inova, Fenix, Mag, Garrity, Princeton Tec, Jetbeam, etc.

So, is it that good?

:devil:

You know how you don't quite trust your LF2 - Well imagine a light that you can set four levels from super low to blazing bright. You use it hard in the outdoors without babying it. You go through many battery changes. You drop it into a mountain lake and onto hard granite (several times). It gets dirty and wet all the time. And, it responds by... just working exactly as it is supposed to do.

I have never had to reprogram my levels, I can always trust it to work, and you can really tell it was designed by someone who uses lights and demands perfection. The beam shape is perfect, the tint excellent, the runtime and brightness very good, and the useability is superb. Yes, it is that good. It is all I use for backpacking and night hikes. If Henry made a small AAA version I would carry it everywhere. My HDS is my only light besides pocketable AAA lights. I sold or gave away all others because they never inspired my confidence like Henry's design.

JJohn

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original ones(HDS) went for like 200-300$. These novatec I'm assuming of the stables are 110-150$. What difference between the hds and novatec apart from the different leds and obvious cosmetics?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac line was designed by Henry D. Schneiker (HDS), who is currently one of the best flashlight engineers on the planet, IMO.

gunga

Flashaholic
What about Arc stuff and all the other high end stuff around here?

Jjohn, that is a great explaination! I think I may have to sell off some stuff for this one.

:naughty:

kromeke

Enlightened
Novatac is cool because it was born from HDS.

I can't recommend or comment on Novatac because I haven't handled their lights yet, so my comments will be restricted to HDS lights.

HDS EDC lights are cool because it is an extremely well thought out flashlight. Mr. Schneiker (Usually referred to as Henry) has engineered a flashlight of exceptional quality.

The switch itself is a momentary type switch. The actual switching is done by the electronics circuit. This should provide superior reliability, as there are very few parts that can wear.

The size is very convenient, at least for me. The beam quality I'm very happy with. (these two are very subjective, so don't read too much into it).

The construction is top notch. The hard coat anodize is tough and durable.

I like the pocket clip on the HDS, it allows one to clip it to the brim of a hat or baseball cap and use it as a headlamp. (but once again, some people don't like the clip.)

Many don't like the styling (or lack thereof) but I'm pleased with the form and definitely the function.

I believe the design has been refined to the point of maturity. This is a well finished product with no bugs. (This may not apply to Novatac)

The user interface I really like. It is nearly perfect in my opinion, but once again, you will find others who dislike it. I can envision some improvements, but I'm sure others would disagree.

I think the bottom line is that you cannot satisfy everyone with a single product. But the EDC comes very close.

Don't get it if:
You don't like 123 cells
You don't like the form factor.
You dislike reliability.

Don't be intimidated by the programmability. You don't have to program the light to use it. The programmability provides customization. Unless one has it programmed with a switch lockout, you can hand this light to your grandmother and she can use it without consulting a manual (she may not be able to fully use it, but she'll get some light out of it).

I got an HDS Basic 42 sometime back when they were on sale. I paid $99 for a B42XRGT. It was a bargain. At the time, I wanted a Ultimate 60, but I had some trepidation about spending ~$150 at the time (they used to cost $210 or so, before they went on sale)

I don't know what else to tell you. Here is a list of some of the other lights I own:

Arc LS first run (factory second)
Ledtronics 3 led light
Maglite 2D
Surefire U2
Huntlight FT-01XSE
HDS B42XRGT

Of these, the HDS is my hands down favorite, with the U2 coming in at second.

I paid $60 for the Arc LS back when they came out. That is the factory second price, they cost $120 otherwise.

The Arc LS first run looks like crap compared to the HDS. (I'm not complaining, because there wasn't anything that compared to it at the time) I only mention it to show how far we've come. At the time, $60 was the most I'd ever spent on a light. Currently, the most I've spent is $99 for the HDS. (I found the U2 laying in the street, but that is another story.) Edit: I did pre-order the Novatac, so hopefully, sometime in July I will have spent $110 on a light that would have gone for ~$300 a week ago (at least, HDS U85's are rare birds)

If you're apprehensive, wait. Very few people here have handled a Novatac. Everything I've read says they're every bit as good as an HDS (with the exception of battery tube options) and if that is true, the price on the Novatac is excellent. I can certainly vouch for the designer, Henry D. Schneiker, based on the last product of his I bought.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow, you guys are very convincing. I think the thing now is that I hope to be able to walk away if I get a Novatac. I don't think my wallet can handle the strain at that point if I stick around!

:poof:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you guys are very convincing. I think the thing now is that I hope to be able to walk away if I get a Novatac. I don't think my wallet can handle the strain at that point if I stick around!

:poof:

Well, the thing about a strained wallet is that it responds like any other muscle--if you keep working it out, it'll get stronger. Before you know it, $150 for a light won't feel like a strain at all, and $110 for something of this quality will seem like a steal.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Arc stuff and all the other high end stuff around here?...
My understanding is that Henry wrote the assembly language code used in the ARCs. IMO the ARCs were notable in their designers devotion to an ideal -- and the execution of the designs that made the lights perform to the standards of that ideal. Those very same factors made the HDS EDC line the logical 'successor to the throne' of that genre of lights.

IMO the only unknown factor in all of this is Novatac's execution of the design. If they uphold the standard -- their lights will be sought after and legendary -- if not it will be up to someone else to fulfill our dreams...

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the novatecs are as good as the originals HDS (it should be as designed by Mr HDS himself), those who has the HDS (originals) would find it difficult to dispose as one can buy new at much less $$$$$ and better........

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the novatecs are as good as the originals HDS (it should be as designed by Mr HDS himself), those who has the HDS (originals) would find it difficult to dispose as one can buy new at much less $$$$$ and better........
I for one have no reason whatsoever to put my HDS light on the used market. Novatec's success or failure has absolutely no bearing on my HDS light's ability to perform the tasks I bought it for. On the other hand, if you bought your HDS light because it was the smallest, brightest thing you could get your hands on I could see how one could somehow now feel it was worthless and in need of replacement...

My take on this is quite different. If anything, I'd guess that my low serial numbered HDS light will become a true collector's item one way or the other. If Novatac is successful and makes a great light mine will be more valuable as a rare link in a chain of truly great lights as time goes by. If the Novatac product sucks then mine will end up as the 'best of breed' and the price will rise because they will be unreplaceable -- made of 'unobtanium.'

It's actually all moot to me as I never buy for speculative purposes -- I only buy a light to do a job and that cuts me out of all of the BS about what some light may or may not be worth at some time in the future. I'm very pleased to say that even my heirs don't give a rip about such trivial matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.