Simple 1xAA Cree?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a simple 1xAA Cree or Seoul (one of the newer high-power LED's), but my head is reeling by trying to figure out how the user interface works on the available models. The descriptions and reviews are generally unclear, or they indicate a UI that is undesirable for my needs.

What I would like: Cree or Seoul (or whatever), 1xAA, fairly small and pocket-able, reasonable balance of runtime and brightness, beam which leans toward flood (though the Luxeon combined with the S017 reflector is good, as is the Minimag LED pattern), simple user interface.

Regarding a simple UI, I do NOT want 137 modes, with memory, dazzle, MP3, window-washing mode, etc.
I am thinking on-off. Or, maybe on low, on high, off...in that order, if possible.
I cannot stand the hold-click-press-half click-doubleclick-tripleclick and hold-squeeze and shake interface.

Is there such a light?

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of those Dealextreme lights look pretty good.

Is the quality ok?

I am considering a Fenix, as I hear the quality is excellent...but, the UI is a bit of a turn-off.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few DX lights.
The really really $2.5 cheap lights might give some QC problems, but anything costing more than $8 should be fine... my $12 CREE 123 MXDL has been working perfectly for a few weeks now.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn't i have this same thread yesterday? :rolleyes:

depending on your budget it would be

l1dce->jet ce->dex->UF c3->dx simple cree

Learjet

Enlightened
I am considering a Fenix, as I hear the quality is excellent...but, the UI is a bit of a turn-off.

Not at all! The Fenix UI is brilliant! Simple to use, you can click on in either turbo or low depending on head twist. One click turns it off from any mode. The strobe and SOS modes most people dislike never need to be accessed.

The UI's I don't like are the ones that you have to go through to GET to a mode you want. Or you have to go through several modes just to turn the thing off. Fenix clickies are not like that.

Remember, with Fenix it's off from any mode, and on straight into turbo or low depending on head twist. To access the other modes use a half press, kinda like a camera shutter. Half press changes modes, full click is either on or off.

Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Not at all! The Fenix UI is brilliant! Simple to use, you can click on in either turbo or low depending on head twist. One click turns it off from any mode. The strobe and SOS modes most people dislike never need to be accessed.

The UI's I don't like are the ones that you have to go through to GET to a mode you want. Or you have to go through several modes just to turn the thing off. Fenix clickies are not like that.

Remember, with Fenix it's off from any mode, and on straight into turbo or low depending on head twist. To access the other modes use a half press, kinda like a camera shutter. Half press changes modes, full click is either on or off.

:thinking: I have to disagree silghty here. New Fenix digital UI is certainly not simple:shakehead. Good dexterity or two hands needed to twist, click, click, twist, click, click, etc.

I put a high-off-low-off clicky switch in L1P & L2P (see below). That's simple, one handed operation.
:eek:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to try one or more of the DX lights.

I know the Fenix isn't necessarily "difficult," but I simply find that much fiddling annoying. I'm not a techno-phobe at all, by the way (I can actually program our VCR/DVD recorder!). I just prefer simplicity...and a very intuitive UI.

This is just my opinion, but if you can't hand a light to a 5 year old, and have them master it in 30 seconds without instruction, it is simply too complicated.
Press-click-twist-turn...too much for me!

This is my idea of an excellent UI:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2035109#post2035109

"Simple user interface. I would LOVE to see a clicky tail, with a rotating head bezel which controls the brightness levels. Maybe there could be 4 detents: lockout, low, medium and high. This way, when you click the light on, it is on whatever detent (and light level) you left it in. You have a choice of which brightness level occurs when the light is turned on. (is "detent" even a word???)
Also, you could leave the clicky turned off, and use the head as the switch. Pretty cool, huh? Clickers and twisters are both happy.
You could have a tailcap without a clicky if you like, to make it shorter."

Someday, I will get my wish...

Last edited:

blademan

Enlightened
Sounds like you need to have someone mod a Fenix L1-T with a Cree or Seoul and you would be good to go.